Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:28 pm

Still eating vegetarian. Monday night I turned some leftover pineapple-basmati rice into a fantastic, island-y fried rice incorporating several handfuls of snow peas plus red chiles, scrambled egg, onion and garlic slivers and macadamia nuts into it. That was our first and main course. Having foregone a salad, after dinner we had a tangerine contest. #6 won.

Last night we had a green salad starter and mushroom ravioli.

Tonight, two-hour baked potatoes,unless I decide to go hasselbeck and glaze the fanned slices with barbecue sauce, something we both love, and a simple green salad. Steamed artichokes for lunch.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:12 pm

What's a tangerine contest?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Jeff, it's a bit of anal insanity. A bowl of little clementines is shared, somewhere between 6 and 10. Bob has fingernail problems and can't really peel his own, so I peel, divide each in half and we discuss each in detail as we go. Seriously--no two are alike. Some are more acidic than sweet, some are sweet but flat, some are more balanced but lack intensity, and one, occasionally, has it all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:41 pm

OK. This is certainly true but I never thought to gamify it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:32 pm

48 hour sous vide beef short rib is going right now. It’s going to be Sunday dinner.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:48 hour sous vide beef short rib is going right now. It’s going to be Sunday dinner.

Very cool!!!

Tonight is Day #3 of Bob's birthday celebration. Thursday night was dinner at Cafe Juanita in Kirkland. Yesterday a late dim sum lunch was the main event, and I brought fresh hamachi home to make a poke out of for a light late dinner. It was major yum with the usual sesame oil, soy sauce and green onions, but also sliced almonds and orange zest--a combination so good I'll never make it without either again.

A fresh duckling from D'Artagnan just arrived and that will be tonight's dinner with brown sauce and fresh blueberries for pairing with a rich Oregon pinot.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:55 pm

Sounds great!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Last night's duck was the best duck I've ever roasted, and not so much because of my cooking method but because of the difference a truly fresh, well-raised duck made. I'm too used to industrial frozen ducks.

Tonight: Greek lamb chops (marinated since yesterday with oregano, garlic and white vermouth) on rice. A cold plate of red bell peppers and green olives will be our starter.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:58 pm

Gosh, that duck sounds good. And the poke on the day before.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:37 pm

Yesterday I prepared a multi-course dinner in celebration of friends' anniversaries. (Some of you may recall Jay Miller and his now 7-years paramour, Arnold Valerdo.) I made everything except the English muffin.

Four courses:

"Breakfast" - Deviled Eggs, Millionaire's Bacon, [toasted muffin], Jellied Espresso with Candied Kumquat
"Lunch" - Seared Sesame Scallops, Celeriac Slaw with Caraway, Confit Carrots
"Dinner" - Roasted Lamb Chops, Sauteed Hen of the Woods, Mini-Potato Gratins
"Dessert" - Pan Canele (served with Luxardo Cherries, Pistachios, and Rosemary Chocolate), Cinnamon Ice Cream

Wines served: Brun NV "FRV100" and Christoffel 1998 Mosel Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Auslese**

The results were generally excellent. The pan canele did not rise properly so that was the worst failure, whereas the jellied espresso was surprisingly delicate and the bitter coffee played off the sweet-on-bitter kumquats. The gratins were made in a muffin tin so lots of crispy edges. The scallops and lamb were both served rare to medium-rare.

The riesling drank beautifully, a golden oldie. (Thank you, Chambers St Wines.)

This is a study in logistics. Only the scallops, chops, and mushrooms were cooked a la minute. Everything else was made ahead and reheated/toasted. I never had more than two pans, or pan+oven, going at the same time. That was rather relaxing and I could participate in the dinner more than usual.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Jeff, logistics indeed. You made a lot of smart choices. Professionally, I come from the world of cost and schedule engineering for immense petrochemical and energy projects. The critical path scheduling tools I learned there are invaluable and employing them in the planning of a complicated meal is just about the most fun I can have. In fact, so much so that I sometimes feel slightly deflated once the plan's on paper "and now I have to cook the SOB".

But tell me more about the jellied espresso and kumquat. That sounds like something I'd make--and love.

Tonight's Day 5 of Bob's birthday week celebration, and here's our somewhat-simpler menu:

White lavender and licorice negroni on the stem
Lobster and shaved fennel crostini
Caesar salad, done with whole leaves and reassembled, then showered with sourdough crumbs
Bevan Sauvignon Blanc with that
Roasted Porcelet (baby pork) shoulder stuffed with mushroom-shallot dressing, rolled and tied, demiglace drizzle
Long and short cooked broccolini
2012 Reynvaan Cabernet
1999 Quilceda Creek cab
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:06 am

Jeff and Jenise those meals sound wonderful. Logistics can seriously impact on outcomes.
Planning, planning, and forethought.

I cooked a meal for two friends yesterday, the first real cook for a long time (the last 3 months have been awful)
Had a 2 bone rib roast in the freezer, it had been dry aged for 3 months. I roasted it to edium rare and simply serv d it with the usual, roast veg, steamed greens, pan gravy and Yorkshire puddings.
The beef was sensational, worth every dollar of the premium price. One of my guests is not overly fond of red meat but came back for seconds and is planning on buying some from the same source.
Dessert was white chocolate pannacotta with passion fruit syrup ( both made in advance) also a winner.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Y
Four courses:
[i]
"Breakfast" - Deviled Eggs, Millionaire's Bacon, [toasted muffin], Jellied Espresso with Candied Kumquat
"Lunch" - Seared Sesame Scallops, Celeriac Slaw with Caraway, Confit Carrots
"Dinner" - Roasted Lamb Chops, Sauteed Hen of the Woods, Mini-Potato Gratins
"Dessert" - Pan Canele (served with Luxardo Cherries, Pistachios, and Rosemary Chocolate), Cinnamon Ice Cream

Wines served: Brun NV "FRV100" and Christoffel 1998 Mosel Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Auslese**

What a fun theme
And perfect Arnold wines
good job
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:37 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Y

What a fun theme
And perfect Arnold wines
good job

Thank you. I worried about finding good wine at low alcohol.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 am

Last night we started with a charred endive salad and followed that with roasted duck legs that had been pre-treated since morning with Asian spices, pan seared to brown up the skin, then roasted for 45 minutes until cooked through. Some potato slices were fried in some of the fat created by the former procedure. A brown sauce with blueberries was drizzled over. Utterly fantastic with a very good Oregon pinot.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:46 am

This morning I'm making a strata to turn last week's sourdough bread and leftover corned beef into a delicious breakfast. Later, I'll oven-grill a big pile of Asian-marinated chicken wings while we watch the Masters.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Had to look up strata. Most people say it comes out too soft to cut into squares, you should expect to serve it with a spoon. Is that how it comes out for you? Is it possible to firm it up? (I'm imagining making it in a cake shape so I can wedge it and sizzle a wedge in a pan (or broiler) before serving.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Depends on your bread and how much custard mix you add. I prefer it dryer, and I use sourdough bread which crisps up much better than, say, regular supermarket chemical bread. I've never had to spoon it out of neccessity, a spatula works great. All that said, most of the crispness and texture is mostly on top--think of it as a flat bread pudding. The pan you use (metal vs. glass) will make a difference too.

It's sure a dandy way of using up leftovers. And artistry comes into play--every dish is different, and meat not required.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:59 am

Last night dinner was a hands-on cooking class at a local restaurant wherein we made:

Pizza (individual biancos with crushed and seasoned San Marzano tomatoes and fresh mozzarella)
Roasted asparagus and purple broccolini with proscuitto and fresh mozzarella
Trifles with strawberries, lemon curd, meringue and ricotta pound cake

And we made the fresh mozzarella. And that's why I wanted to take the class. The rest was just group fun and a novel way to go out to dinner. Have to tell you after having that experience, I've always kind of resented the high cost of fresh mozzarella, but no more. Forget the other ingredients you also need, it takes a gallon of good-quality raw whole milk to make just 1 pound of mozzarella. In our case, about $16 worth of milk. Henceforth, I shall be very grateful to pay whatever they're asking.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:13 am

Jenise wrote: I've always kind of resented the high cost of fresh mozzarella, but no more. Forget the other ingredients you also need, it takes a gallon of good-quality raw whole milk to make just 1 pound of mozzarella. In our case, about $16 worth of milk. Henceforth, I shall be very grateful to pay whatever they're asking.

Ha! Always nice to see that something is not a scam!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:50 am

Yes cheese has high intrinsic costs, ingredients, time, expertise, and that loss of moisture increases the price per kilo.

Tonight I had a light whole meal bread dough proving nad drifting through the fridge there was a small quantity of fresh blueberries. Hmm. It’s Easter and I Haven’t had a hot cross bun. So nipped off part of the dough flattened it out sprinkled with blueberries and sugar rolled it up and made blueberry scrolls. Nice, better with a touch of salt crystals. Better than (I think) the hot cross buns on offer locally.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:45 am

Very creative, Barb!

Our dinner last night was what we playfully call 'Wokness'--I make a lot of stir fries you'd never see on a Chinese menu. This one was a play on Green Pepper Beef which would have been more aptly named Beefed Green Pepper, if one were to try to apply an actual description to it. The idea was to repurpose a terrible Mongolian Beef we got from takeout a few days ago. 'Terrible' because it was ghastly sweet. In my version, the meat was mere seasoning to the stir fried diced green and yellow peppers plus lots of white onion and ginger. Made a great dish.

Tonight's our monthly neighborhood wine tasting. I've got 8 pounds of boneless leg of Australian lamb marinating for grilling later and serving over a lemony orzo. I'll also do a cucumber and feta salad (theme is Greek).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Greek wine to go with?

"Wokness" -- I thought it was some kind of Chinese-Scottish crossover!
smviking_15-512.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:47 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Greek wine to go with?

"Wokness" -- I thought it was some kind of Chinese-Scottish crossover!
smviking_15-512.png

Yup, lots of Greek wine.
PreviousNext