Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Peter May » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Tonight I am making pizza. I will soon start on the bread in time to let yeast do its job ready for stretching, adding toppings*, baking and serving at 7pm.

With the pizza we will be having Kevin Judd’s Marlborough Greywacke Pinot Gris 2015

* tomato sauce made from tin of Italian plum tomatoes, chopped garlic, onion and orange pepper, sliced mushrooms, anchovies, black olives, capers and grins of black pepper and southern French dried herbs.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:02 pm

Jenise wrote:I have a friend who almost fits that description (claims he doesn't eat any vegetable spelled with more than four letters).

Well, depends how you call it. The friend's repertoire can include a lot of bean (navy, mung, lima, soy), pea, kale, bok choy (wins twice!), okra, leek, corn, taro, yam, cuke (see what I did there?), beet, tat soi (another double winner!). And I haven't even started stretching it. Not bad for a picky eater.

But at least he'll eat lettuce.

Almost twice over! (...it has 7 letters, just shy of 4 x 2...)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:58 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:The friend's repertoire can include a lot of bean (navy, mung, lima, soy), pea, kale, bok choy (wins twice!), okra, leek, corn, taro, yam, cuke (see what I did there?), beet, tat soi (another double winner!).

As you can suspect, he's never even heard of most of these. And while his protestations of only four letters are deliberately self-deprecating and funny, it's also true that it's pretty hard to get anything other than meat and potatoes into him.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm

To help prevent scurvy, increase good intestinal flora, and respond to the cold weather today, we had sauerkraut, sausages, mashed potatoes, and my latest bread. I even had a beer.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:47 am

Tonight I’m making roast cauliflower steaks with crispy roasted okra and tarka dhal as sauce.

With it I’m trying Marks & Spencer’s new own label ‘House of Dreams’ Pinotage 2019, WO Swartland.

Here's one I made earlier

cauliflower-steak-meal.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Dinner last night was gai sai takrai (Thai stir-fried chicken with lemongrass). It turned out particularly incendiary.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Peter May wrote:Tonight I’m making roast cauliflower steaks with crispy roasted okra and tarka dhal as sauce.

The cauliflower looks good and I like the idea of the dhal as sauce.

Last night I made stuffed pork chops. Very definitely a throwback kind of meal--not something I grew up with, and in fact the first time I ever made them I bought them pre-made from a butcher's counter. But in 2020 it's definitely an old fashioned food. I brined the chops in apple juice with a good dollop of dry white vermouth, then used a truffle and chestnut stuffing I'd made and frozen the leftovers of before Christmas. No sauce needed, but I did spill a panful of peas and carrots over the top. Quite attractive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:36 pm

Yesterday I made matzoh ball soup for lunch. The exquisite tenderness of those big tender dumplings luxuriating in a beautifully seasoned broth is pure joy. For dinner, we had fresh Icelandic cod, panko coated and baked crisp, with a bell pepper salad. Delicious. I bought the cod in Canada (but just ten miles from my house). Being able to buy Icelandic cod, vs. Alaskan, is one of the fun things about the duality of life on the border.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:39 pm

On the stove right now: a beef bolognese for tomorrow. Marinating in Spanish spices: kurobata pork short ribs for grilling later and serving over a potato and green olive salad. And about to serve for lunch: avocado halves stuffed with langoustines and gigante beans on romaine chiffonade.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:05 pm

Jenise wrote:... a potato and green olive salad.

Say more, please.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:24 pm

No recipe, Jeff, just a plan to combine potatoes with slivered green (not castelveltrano, but similar, fresh/salt brine/no vinegar) and dress them with oil and vinegar wherein maybe the oil and vinegar component comes from the marinade from a jar of Mama Lil's peppers. You probably don't know them, they're a west coast thing, but the flavor's unbelievable and like nothing else.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:21 pm

It's been quite a while, so I came up with a shrimp stir fry and basmati brown rice. The neat thing about stir fries is that you can throw in just about anything. Amongst other found items, I used sliced veges, peanuts, sliced cloud ears, shiitakes, water chestnuts, garlic, homegrown dried cayennes. Then I slightly thickened it with a cornstarch sauce made with oyster sauce, ponzu, and toasted sesame oil. Wish I had made 3x as much; I'm still a bit peckish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:55 pm

Larry, we call those dishes 'wokness'.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm

If I had had some wokness monster, I would have used that, too. :roll:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Tonight I'll be making Thai lemongrass meatballs.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:52 pm

Paul, how delicious. I love lemongrass and I'm definitely guilty of not using it often enough (can't always find it when I do want it, either).

Tonight I'm making a dish called Kenyan Coconut Chicken.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Lemongrass is fairly easy to grow. Perhaps try that.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:51 pm

Lemongrass freezes well. The supermarket I shop at has a significant Asian clientele and has a wider variety and higher quality produce section than usual for New Hampshire as a result. They have lemongrass sporadically. Fortunately it freezes well. They sell lemongrass in bundles of four or five stalks. I peel the outer layer off the extra stalks and cut them into 3-4" lengths, then freeze them. That way there's no waste and lemongrass is always on hand. I do the same with galangal and Thai chiles. The only catch is that once you defrost, you must use the stuff that day or it will go off.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Brilliant!!!!! I'll do that. I actually do see lemongrass a lot--but only when I already have plans. Then when I decide I need it--nowhere to be found. I never considered freezing it.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:57 am

Why is it that January flies by as an odd, jumbled-up "non-month"? That's how it seems for me these days, anyway. So: it's February, and it's Saturday, and after all the hot dry weather and bushfires, suddenly it's cool and raining.

The Francophile is putting together a photo-book, which he may produce multiples of for his upcoming bird photo exhibition, so I've hardly seen him all day. He's there at his desk, doing arcane things with layouts. So I'm on Dinner Duty.

What's simple? What's in the fridge?

We're having roasted chicken breasts, stuffed with dried tomato puree, roasted potatoes and shallots, and some steamed veg which I am about to set going on the stovetop. It's one of the Francophile's favourites, so I'm giving him a treat.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:05 am

Matilda L wrote:We're having roasted chicken breasts, stuffed with dried tomato puree, roasted potatoes and shallots, and some steamed veg which I am about to set going on the stovetop. It's one of the Francophile's favourites, so I'm giving him a treat.

Sounds good to me, too!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Tonight is going to be misc. leftovers; tomorrow will be bbq pork ribs.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Today, for my own Superbowl of cooking, I am making Julia's boeuf bourguignon. This takes a long time -- I'm in the middle of it now -- but I gotta say that is an incredible fond at the bottom of that pan!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:30 pm

I love boeuf bourguignon, and Julia's recipe for it is great. Last night I made Beijing meat sauce noodles. Tonight's dinner is leftover lemongrass meatballs.

-Paul W.
PreviousNext