Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Paul Winalski » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:53 am

The chicken with green peppers and Guizhou black bean sauce was delicious. I see why Jenise switched to this from the Lee Kum Kee black bean sauce with garlic. That extra little kick of warmth improves the dish.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Doesn't it? It's a very complete flavor. I just blend a few tablespoons with chicken broth, soy sauce and cornstarch for a saucier coating on the meat and vegetables.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:41 pm

I followed the standard procedure for "stir-fried beef with X" (X being a firm vegetable such as green peppers, pea pods, broccoli, or cauliflower). I marinated the chicken slices in soy sauce and shaoxing wine with some cornstarch mixed in. First step was a brief stir-fry of the pepper chunks in a bit of oil to "break the rawness", as the Chinese say--just until the color starts to darken a bit. Then the peppers come out, a bit more oil is added, the black bean sauce and ginger are stir-fried until they come up fragrant, then the chicken goes in. As the chicken cooks it releases its juices. The cornstarch from the marinade forms thickened sauce. Once this starts happening, the peppers go back in and everything's stir-fried together for a minute or two.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Our methods differ a bit but I'm sure the results are equally excellent. I flash cook the peppers and onions first, also, but I do like a bit of sauce. I season the chicken with a little salt and cornstarch, then add an eggwhite and some neutral oil so the pieces don't stick together in the wok. But I do make a sauce slurry, cuz I like this dish wet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:52 am

Dessert tonight: I had about a cup of pumpkin goo leftover from making the hand pies. What to do with a bit of goo?

Take an organic whole wheat tortilla, saute in butter for about 10 seconds, flip it, put a tablespoon of goo on, fold in half, cook for a minute, flip, sprinkle with powdered sugar and Cointreau, cook for a minute more, and serve. Crepes Suzette de Potiron!

A little sturdier than a proper crepe but a little extra stiffening is good to make sure it holds the pumpkin puree. And, really, once it's been sauteed in butter, I defy you to identify the grain, anyway!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:53 am

Interesting method, turning a tortilla into a crepe. Genius!

I made a sheetpan roast chicken last night with purple potatoes, onion quarters and carrots. Really delish and the first meat I've eaten in about five days.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:09 pm

Jenise wrote:Interesting method, turning a tortilla into a crepe. Genius!

Thank you.

Jeff Grossman wrote:A little sturdier than a proper crepe but a little extra stiffening is good...

And who among us does not like a little extra stiffening? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Dinner tonight: no idea. I'm craving fish but I'd probably have to swim to get some, so no. Meanwhile mostly-veggie week continues with a two-salad lunch, potato to one side and cucumbers with sweet onions to the other. No dinner plans yet....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:12 am

Stag. Carbonara in my favorite broken-down old bowl. :D
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:14 pm

I made red-cooked chicken last night. I used mushroom soy sauce, for the mushroom flavor. Because this is based on light soy sauce, I added a tablespoon of thick soy sauce to make it more like dark soy. I also threw in a piece (eight cloves) of star anise.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:11 pm

Seared tuna block and poke.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:27 am

Chicken and mushroom quiche. Also, more ramp-up to TG... started the gravy.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:59 am

Yesterday, the eldest son and wife, grandson, and his new bride came for the day. Son picked up deli sandwiches on the way here, grandson and wife went to In and Out Burgers, and I made a sourdough bread pizza, marinated three bean salad everyone loves, relish plate, and chips and dip. We had a great time, casual, easy, lots of laughter, and watched wedding videos. Just the way I like to entertain these days. They drove back home just before cocktail time, we both crashed and went to bed early!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:31 pm

Sounds like a great day, Karen.

We had friends over to taste three Canadian wines. Romaine and purple cabbage salad was followed by roast pork tenderloin, gravy, mashed potatoes and peas and carrots. Easy and delicious.

Today's Meatless Monday. So lunch was a hot spinach salad, something we just love. I know tradition calls for bacon but we skip that. Chopped tomatoes and garlic are softened in olive oil and seasoned with salt, a pinch of sugar, red wine vinegar, herbs d'Provence and fresh ground black pepper. I sometimes top them with grated cheese but skipped it this time.

Tonight I'm not sure about. I'm long broccolini, cremini mushrooms and huge asparagus, like 1" at the base so lots of options. One of those will show up on couscous, I think. I also have a bunch of garlic chives, which could get quickly sauteed whole and mixed with straight Chinese noodles--the lengths are about the same and the resulting dish is gorgeous. Those would be simply seasoned with soy sauce and sesame oil. Or maybe Guizhou black bean sauce (yes, Paul, I got some!) We'll see....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:34 pm

Sounds like a very comfortable day, Karen!

Tonight will be salmon night. Then I'll start a chocolate ice cream.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Last night I decided to turn that tub (the big Costco size) of creminis into a pot of cream of mushroom soup for a soup and salad dinner. I seasoned the soup with onion, garlic, herbs d'Provence, sage, soy sauce and a dash of dry marsala. All good flavors, but then a trip to the fridge for the salad ingredients encouraged me to test the remains of last week's swiss steak tomato gravy--not much, about 7-8 ounces, and that addition brought the magic. The result wasn't tomato-ey, just brighter and more complex. Indeed, the best mushroom soup I've ever had.

No plans yet for tonight.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:10 pm

Tonight it is slices of the breast from leftover roasted chicken. served with fresh-picked baby spinach sauteed in butter and lemon juice with a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg. Baked sweet potato, that is from our CSA box, with butter, salt, and pepper, and a few tomato slices from the last of the heirloom tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:08 am

I’ve been in Melbourne for some days, dining out daily with friends and indulging in cooked breakfasts at my hotel (skipping lunch however) so time to get back to reality! To be honest I think I prefer my usual toast with Vegemite and avocado for breakfast.
Tonight Tm thinking chicken ‘fajitas’, ie simple grilled chicken breast, onions, peppers, salsa. Etc
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:58 am

Chocolate ice cream churned. Pistachio gelato begun.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:24 am

I have an overload of broccoli, so today I am making my very first broccoli and cheese soup. It has onions, garlic, carrots, celery, white wine, and heavy cream which I will substitute with half and half. A heaping cup of Gruyére cheese and a pinch of nutmeg. Serving with freshly made sourdough croutons.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:34 pm

I am no particular fan of broccoli but that sounds really good!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:34 am

For the two of us today, I am roasting 2 split Cornish Hens, slathered with soy sauce, butter, fresh lemon juice, and herbs. They will sit on a bed of sliced sourdough baguette (it is amazing what happens to the bread cooked with this method, and I am addicted), a mix of cauliflower, Yukon Gold potatoes, mashed with butter and fresh thyme, salt and pepper, fresh green beans in sauteed shallots, garlic, and semi-dried sun tomatoes with herbs. We will have enough for leftovers tomorrow.
Have a happy Thanksgiving day to all of you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:02 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I am no particular fan of broccoli but that sounds really good!

I love broccoli and cheese soup. You don't have to be a fan of broccoli to enjoy it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:43 pm

Happy two days after Thanksgiving to all of you!

Karen, tell us about bedding the hens on the sourdough bread. I love LOVE bread croutons under meats, but it's usually after the cook not during.

We had Tday dinner at my brothers, and my only contribution was mashed potatoes with melted leeks folded in for something different.

Not sure what I plan to do tonight, yet.
PreviousNext