Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 am

Barb Downunder wrote:So going through the freezer came across 2 lobster tails...

Ah, Life is good, just stumbled over some lobster tails... please pass the cognac, thank you, James. :wink:
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:01 pm

Jenise wrote:I've had various versions of lettuce soup, and they're surprisingly good. Also, I have a book on the cooking of Southern France written in the early 70's, and lettuce is/was used in surprising ways in a lot of savory dishes there. It's a very interesting book that preserves a sunny cuisine not yet blessed by mass transportation and based only on what was locally growable. So though French techniques are evident the foods include a lot of citrus, a lot of vegetables as they were so easy to grow, a lot of lamb (which the coastal mountains were full of) and not as much beef and dairy.

I went through a phase in my youth where I was trying all sorts of dishes based on lettuce, brought about after becoming entranced by Prosper Montagne's trestise on them in Larousse Gastronomique. A very brief phase. Most of his recipes called for braising them, in various liquids then served hot, cold, and with various finishings. Those I grew tired of quickly. I more enjoyed his lettuce soufflé, and also stuffed lettuce - like stuffed cabbage, but more delicate. And like you, I quite enjoy lettuce soup still :D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:42 am

I think I'm getting queasy just reading about green soup. :shock:
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:18 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:I think I'm getting queasy just reading about green soup. :shock:

You should try it, Jeff. It's delicious, and it chlorophyll's you up!

:mrgreen:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:48 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:I think I'm getting queasy just reading about green soup. :shock:

Spinach soup is good, though. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:09 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:So going through the freezer came across 2 lobster tails...

Ah, Life is good, just stumbled over some lobster tails... please pass the cognac, thank you, James. :wink:

:lol:
James was turning out the freezer because Jeeves is going to Aldi to buy sone more lobster tails!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm back from a week of great dining in Los Angeles. Cooking tonight for just the two of us: no idea what I want to eat, and the fridge is bare.

Decisions, decisions.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Welcome back, Jenise! Do you live too far from delivery Chinese or pizza? :)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Crudite, sushi, affetatsi -- no cooking! :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Welcome back, Jenise! Do you live too far from delivery Chinese or pizza? :)

I do. We're on our own out here on Birch Point. :)

So I got two lamb shoulder chops out of the freezer--that's a start. I have no idea yet what's going to happen to them, and that may end up depending on whether or not Bob gets the kitchen faucet put back together (he had to do that today? Really?). I haven't even been to the store yet, the only vegetables in the house are a pair of bell peppers.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:19 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Crudite, sushi, affetatsi -- no cooking! :)

But cooking isn't the problem--shopping is! Or was. And in fact still is--haven't been since returning from L.A. The only produce in the house was a big beefsteak sized tomato, fully ripe but pure green in color so that got cut into wedges and marinated in a bit of vinaigrette for a starter salad. For the main course, inspired by a 12 year old New Zealand syrah which sounded like a fun contribution to the NZ thread on the wine side here, the lamb shoulder chops got garlic-crusted and pan-fried for serving atop a potato and green olive hash.

Today: definitely going to the store.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Cacio e pepe has been on the radar a lot lately and it's one pasta dish I had never made or eaten. (No turnips, thank you very much!). Kinda ridiculous for something that simple, so I made it with bucatini last night. Thin slices of leftover pork tenderloin went on top just because I need to use that up. It was delicious and went nicely with a frappato from southern Italy.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Cacio e pepe has been on the radar a lot lately and it's one pasta dish I had never made or eaten. (No turnips, thank you very much!). Kinda ridiculous for something that simple, so I made it with bucatini last night. Thin slices of leftover pork tenderloin went on top just because I need to use that up. It was delicious and went nicely with a frappato from southern Italy.

I hadn't tried the dish until I saw Anthony Bourdain in Rome describing it in such fawning terms that it became apparent to me that the dish was more than the sum of it's parts, and it is. A few weeks ago I made a version with a fresh truffled pecorino--now THERE'S the dish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Yesterday at Whole Foods, I found skirt steak. That's a cut I love but rarely see up here, and if bychance I find one, it's just one. I was able to buy four, 5 pounds' worth, so that's an excuse for a Mexican Steak dinner. Invitations are going out right now.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 pm

I love skirt, bavette, hanger - all of them. We rarely eat them, though, as my wife is one of those people who'd rather have a taste-free-melt-in-your-mouth filet mignon than a deeply flavorful piece of skirt steak that has a little chew to it,.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 am

Tonight's work in the kitchen: Made the egg nog for New Year's Eve. I am always flabbergasted that an uncooked beverage made of raw eggs and sugar (+cream, vanilla, booze) remains non-lethal and even improves over the course of a month or two.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I love skirt, bavette, hanger - all of them. We rarely eat them, though, as my wife is one of those people who'd rather have a taste-free-melt-in-your-mouth filet mignon than a deeply flavorful piece of skirt steak that has a little chew to it,.

Oh what a dilemma! I feel for you. I love that chewy meat and don't care so much for filet because it's too soft, almost mealy at times, and occasionally a bit liver-y. The skirt steak was wonderful. I marinated it all day in a mixture called 'Garlipeno', something I read about in the Los Angeles times about 20 years ago and have loved ever since, a purposefully coarse (not over-processed, smooth is a liability) sauce of fresh jalapenos, garlic and olive oil all whizzed together and coating the meat, hopefully rubbed in such that the crevasses in the skirt steak hold in some of the small sand of vegetables.

Here's today's cooking, just started, the pork loin sous vide for tonight's faux vitello tonnato. What's pork in Italian, anyway?
SousVideTonnato.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Meatless Monday - Vegan Potato Soup w/ crispy fried garlic kale and EVOO fried sourdough toasts.

Jason
Last edited by Jason Hagen on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:50 pm

Oh, delish! We went meatless too. Just a salad, both because Meatless Monday and because I'm trying to drop the five pounds I gained in Los Angeles last week. One of these days you when I'm down there, you, me and Semaj need to get together.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, delish! We went meatless too. Just a salad, both because Meatless Monday and because I'm trying to drop the five pounds I gained in Los Angeles last week. One of these days you when I'm down there, you, me and Semaj need to get together.

I saw you were in the area. I was in New Hampshire and then Boston. Trying to keep warm. Yes, I would really enjoy getting together and what the heck, let's open some weird wine. Haven't seen Semaj in awhile so it would be great to catch up.

Oh, and if you ever wanted to road trip, I go tasting in the WV every February.

Jason
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Maiale Tonnato... tunnied pork. Should work well. Used turkey on 2 occasions for tonnato - Tacchino Tonnato. Heck, almost anything would taste good under that magic tuna sauce blanket! Needed a luncheon dish for 40. The first go around didn't work because the turkey breast shredded instead of slicing. Second time was better. Less poaching time, removed the breast and put it back in the poaching liquid when it was cooled. Let it sit overnight and sliced rather thickly. Still wanted to fall apart. Pork will be perfect. This is one of those dishes that benefits greatly from meld time.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Maiale Tonnato... tunnied pork. Should work well. Used turkey on 2 occasions for tonnato - Tacchino Tonnato. Heck, almost anything would taste good under that magic tuna sauce blanket! Needed a luncheon dish for 40. The first go around didn't work because the turkey breast shredded instead of slicing. Second time was better. Less poaching time, removed the breast and put it back in the poaching liquid when it was cooled. Let it sit overnight and sliced rather thickly. Still wanted to fall apart. Pork will be perfect. This is one of those dishes that benefits greatly from meld time.

I can appreciate the problems with the turkey. The pork was WONDERFUL. At 140, four hours, it was the loveliest uniform pink edge to edge--if I'd told them they were eating veal, they'd have believed it. I used my meat slicer to cut and decided to go with a thin shave instead of distinct slices. I realize this isn't the traditional way, but I put the tuna sauce (heavily dosed with fresh oregano from my garden, and so attractive a force on its own that I skipped the anchovies) on the bottom of a long narrow glass platter, and heaped the piles of shaved pork on top. That way I could make enough for ten people without taking up a lot of room on the one long narrow table (with wine bottles and glasses everywhere) we'd all be sitting at. Wish I'd taken a picture to show just how pretty the meat was.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Dinner tonight: cornmeal crusted fresh true cod on a bed of sauteed broccoli rabe (which will respond as well as the fish to fresh lime juice).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:21 am

Last night, I threw together a pasta sauce of onion, tomatoes, pancetta, and red pepper (a sorta amatriciana) for some bucatini that was lying around. Ate the leftovers this evening.

- Julia Child
PreviousNext