Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New acquisition

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

New acquisition

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Just a couple of days ago, I was mulling over a post on the Kitchenaid vs. Hobart mixers. Our 30 year old Ultra Power mixer is showing its age. When dealing with stiff doughs, it sounds like the motor is bogging down and ready to quit. There's also an issue with the size of the bowl - my wife would like a mixer with room for larger batches of stuff. We had heard that Kitchenaid went back to metal gears in their mixers, so we were looking at the Kitchenaid Pro 600, which goes for $550. We also looked at the one Hobart counter top mixer, which (of course) appealed to us for its indisputable ruggedness. These go for ~$2100 new, which is way more than we'd pay, but they seem pretty common on Ebay for around $550 - 600. My post was going to ask for opinions on those two options, but this became a non-issue today. We were at the "Antique Fair" that's held once a month under one of the freeways here and came across an older K5SS with the Hobart brand on it. It was very clean and had been picked up at an estate sale. Price was $115. It's on the counter now and so far, appears to work just fine.

20161009_162149_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: New acquisition

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:17 pm

Looks great, Mike! We have a bright-red Kitchenaid that's been around here for quite a few years and still runs like a tank.
no avatar
User

adam.hunter

Rank

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:26 am

by adam.hunter » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:28 am

Wow! This is a great find! Are there any more of these?
Adam Hunter
Client Account Manager
http://www.loveasyliving.com
http://www.homenkitchensupplies.com
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:09 pm

adam.hunter wrote:Wow! This is a great find! Are there any more of these?

She only had the one older mixer. She also had a newer Ultra-power model that was brand new in the box, which she also picked up at an estate sale. Looks like I need to spend more time checking out estate sales for cooking gear!

BTW, welcome to the forum, Adam!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Mike, congrats. What a neat find. Had you not bought this, I'd be advising you to check out Amazon. Not sure what's available right now, but the pro 600 KA's can be purchased there, from time to time, at steep discounts when boxes arrived damaged. The machine itself may or may not have a knick in it, but they'll discount them heavily and sell them as Used. Just look for the ones where there's a large price diff between their current price and used, and see if the seller of the Used ones isn't the Amazon warehouse itself. They'll describe the damage honestly. I got my root beer brown 6 qt (which has the kind of power your wife the baker would love) for about $300 when unblemished new were going for around $550. Mine had no blemishes--just a small gash in the box that didn't even penetrate the Styrofoam.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov