Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Two Trader Joe's finds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Two Trader Joe's finds

by Jenise » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Fresh New Zealand lamb racks: Yes, fresh spring lamb from somewhere that's actually in the middle of Spring. About $14 per pound which translates to approximately $18 per rack. Outstanding.

Also, a new batch of Basmati rice. On hand, I've had some plump basmati rice from Lindberg Nutrition out of California that looks, tastes and cooks more like jasmine rice. The house does not fill with that fabulous popcorn smell and it actually made me wonder if I'd lost my nose for that special difference. Then I bought this at Trader Joe's. Skinny little needles full of that amazing Basmati aroma. I'm back in Basmati heaven--and the rest of that bag of Lindberg is in the trash.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Two Trader Joe's finds

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:40 pm

Hm. I've usually had OK experiences with Lindberg. Nowadays I use Rice Select. And I think I make more farro than rice!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Hm. I've usually had OK experiences with Lindberg. Nowadays I use Rice Select. And I think I make more farro than rice!

Same here. And where I bought the Lindberg, it was as it sometimes is these days the only choice available. But it neither looks nor tastes like basmati. The other brand you mention--never see it here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Jenise wrote:... it was as it sometimes is these days the only choice available..

No Asian stores in the area?

We don't exactly have a wealth of shopping options down here in the Chapel Hill area, but I'm pretty happy buying rice from the Chinese/pan-Asian or the Indian store, with a nice range of brands/quality levels direct from the home countries. And that's a bit less money I have to give to Whole Foods or TJs. (Call me a sentimental sap, because despite the fact that I shop at WF three times a week and would be VERY unhappy if the option were no longer there, I'd still always rather spend my money elsewhere at a smaller store)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:44 pm

I agree, Rahsaan, that WF gives the aura of supporting a brainless, consumerist, up-market economy. They are available in NYC and I avoid them. I think I have made a single purchase there in the last 5 years (for Austrian pumpkin seeds).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:... it was as it sometimes is these days the only choice available..

We don't exactly have a wealth of shopping options down here in the Chapel Hill area, but I'm pretty happy buying rice from the Chinese/pan-Asian or the Indian store, with a nice range of brands/quality levels direct from the home countries. And that's a bit less money I have to give to Whole Foods or TJs. (Call me a sentimental sap, because despite the fact that I shop at WF three times a week and would be VERY unhappy if the option were no longer there, I'd still always rather spend my money elsewhere at a smaller store)

Yes, here in Bellingham I have a few small Asian stores, and I do shop at them. But basmati is something I haven't seen among the myriad rice choices available, even at the store that also stocks items for it's Indian clientele. This bag of Lindberg so-called basmati was purchased while camping in Oregon at a store that didn't offer alternatives. Prior to that, I bought a $30 ten pound burlap bag of aged basmati at an Indian store in Canada that got taken away from me at the border. Apparently, only American and Chinese rice can come across our borders now--who knew? All of which adds up to explain why this new batch at Trader Joe's seemed so special.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I agree, Rahsaan, that WF gives the aura of supporting a brainless, consumerist, up-market economy. They are available in NYC and I avoid them. I think I have made a single purchase there in the last 5 years (for Austrian pumpkin seeds).

Indeed. When I lived in Nyc I never went to WF either.

Options are different down here in Carolina. (Although in the grand scheme of things, I can't complain. And certain things - fresh baked samosas, fresh baked tortillas - are closer to my house than they were in Nyc)
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Jenise wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

Yes, here in Bellingham I have a few small Asian stores, and I do shop at them. But basmati is something I haven't seen among the myriad rice choices available, even at the store that also stocks items for it's Indian clientele. This bag of Lindberg so-called basmati was purchased while camping in Oregon at a store that didn't offer alternatives. Prior to that, I bought a $30 ten pound burlap bag of aged basmati at an Indian store in Canada that got taken away from me at the border. Apparently, only American and Chinese rice can come across our borders now--who knew? All of which adds up to explain why this new batch at Trader Joe's seemed so special.

I have a half dozen Indian groceries near where I work. Last time I bought Basmati they must have had two dozen different brands with ten pound bags ranging from $9 to $16. It is hard to choose which brand to buy, and they have some other types of rice which I haven't tried yet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Joe Moryl wrote:I have a half dozen Indian groceries near where I work. Last time I bought Basmati they must have had two dozen different brands with ten pound bags ranging from $9 to $16. It is hard to choose which brand to buy, and they have some other types of rice which I haven't tried yet.

Lucky you! I knew the Canadian price was high (import taxes in B.C. are such that they typically double what a U.S. price would be) but I'd been unable to find any really good basmati for so long I was willing to pay it. I'm sure there are sources in Seattle, I've just not scouted them out.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:52 am

Joe Moryl wrote:Last time I bought Basmati they must have had two dozen different brands with ten pound bags ranging from $9 to $16. It is hard to choose which brand to buy..

I know all about that! I usually go for the brown basmati, which reduces the choices considerably. As fun as white basmati may be from time to time, we don't need to consistently serve that at home.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:17 am

Jenise - I can attest to the tastiness of rice and lamb!

You might want to try some Wehani rice if you can find it. Developed in the US from Basmati, different but interesting. They also grow Basmati in California - not sure how it compares with the real stuff. There is also a big rice business on Westminster Highway in Richmond that might be worth visiting (Western Rice Mills). They include in their portfolio, 'Good Length' brand.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:01 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Jenise - I can attest to the tastiness of rice and lamb!

You might want to try some Wehani rice if you can find it. Developed in the US from Basmati, different but interesting. They also grow Basmati in California - not sure how it compares with the real stuff. There is also a big rice business on Westminster Highway in Richmond that might be worth visiting (Western Rice Mills). They include in their portfolio, 'Good Length' brand.....

The Lindberg rice might well have been the type you mention. I made rice for 25 diners on Saturday and used 3 lbs of jasmine for that. Ended up digging the last of that Lindberg basmati out of the trash (it was in a sealed bag) as it would blend. The kernels were actually quite a bit bigger, both in length and girth, than the jasmine which is atypical of real basmati.