Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New hot spot in Washington DC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

New hot spot in Washington DC

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:38 pm

My wife and I had dinner at Central Michel Richard at 11th and Penn NW last night. The new restaurant by famed restaurateur Michel Richard opened just a few days ago on Saturday January 6th, 2007; it is not open for lunch at this time.
The menu varied widely: great looking salads (my wife's was really too big and covered with mounds of blue cheese), very nice appetizers (you have to try the cheese puffs - heaven) and entrées from Maryland Beef Burger to Lobster Burger to standards like Salmon and Hanger Steak. The deserts were equal to the entrées (I had the cheesecake crème Brule my wife had the fresh made mango sorbet- the first that she's had that did not tase like watered down fruit juice).
I wish I had taken a copy of the extensive wine list - I had the Paul Hobbs Malbec from Argentina. The wine storage in the restaurant consists of two or three large glass enclosed cellars - very impressive. next time I ask for a tour. Michel Richard himself was on hand making sure things were going well. As expected, only the wait staff was a little rough around the edges, which I sure will clear up and really didn't bother us at all.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: New hot spot in Washington DC

by James Roscoe » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks for the info Jon. Was it pricey? I find too many of the spots in town are out of my price range as a humble school teacher.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Sorry I didn't mention price - this is my first such posting (I'm usually on the wine side of things.
With cocktails ($12 bourbon on the rocks!) and wine, desert and side dishes, the two of us spent $150.00 before tip. We could have cut that in half though. The entrees are not bad, in the 20 to 25 dollar range but they get you on the appetizers, sides, ($6 each) and deserts ($8 each). As I recall, the wines were not outrageously priced but there were very few available by the glass.
One odd thing: there was a beef dish for two that was listed at $78. This seemed very out of the norm relative to the rest of the menu. I did not ask what it was or what it included but I will next time. Additionally, they were not taking part in the Restaurant Week deal currently going on though this week.
I'm just pleased there's a Michel Richard place near my office.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:50 am

James, I think there'll be a full review in this Sunday's Washington Post Magazine, if my information is correct.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:17 pm

I'll look for it. Thanks for the tip. Thanks for the tip on the Restaurant Week too. I didn't realize they were doing it again! We did the one in Baltimore. It was excellent.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:One odd thing: there was a beef dish for two that was listed at $78. This seemed very out of the norm relative to the rest of the menu.

Jon, I wonder if it was from one of these cows!?http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=5570&highlight=

Thanks for the post, it'll give me and my husband another potential dining experience that he can bill to his client when he rolls off one of his projects :twisted:

Just an aside from a novice...I've only been once, but Harry's Tap Room in Clarendon has some interesting wines on the menu. It's not a super-extensive wine menu, but they seem to cover a good range of styles, and for someone like me who is just starting to learn about wine, the menu layout is very user-friendly. Of course, the prices are pretty much what you'd expect in DC...
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Well James, it's not in the magazine as I thought Tom S. had indicated in an online he had on 01-10. Maybe it'll be soon.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Did you look in the Style section or whatever they call that new section that has all the hip places? It could be buried in the actual paper.

K. do real people live in N. VA? I thought only clones lived over there? How can you stand the traffic? It's quicker to get to Philly than it is to get to Clarendon from Bowie. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:21 pm

K - I've read about those cows before but I'll most likely never have a steak from one!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:50 am

James - there's a short discussion of Central in todays Food Section, page 2 by the wine article.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:25 pm

James Roscoe wrote:K. do real people live in N. VA? I thought only clones lived over there? How can you stand the traffic? It's quicker to get to Philly than it is to get to Clarendon from Bowie. :lol:

Believe me...I try to avoid the VA and MD 'burbs to whatever degree possible, but when a co-worker has a $100 gift certificate to Harry's Tap Room that he wants to share with me, I'll suck up the metro ride from northwest! Although we somehow managed to exceed the certificate value by a pretty significant amount somehow... :?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:11 pm

K Story wrote:Believe me...I try to avoid the VA and MD 'burbs to whatever degree possible, but when a co-worker has a $100 gift certificate to Harry's Tap Room that he wants to share with me, I'll suck up the metro ride from northwest! Although we somehow managed to exceed the certificate value by a pretty significant amount somehow... :?

There are some great places in the "burbs if you know where to look. I just couldn't imagine the drive to Clarendon. Did the Metro get you there? Another great 'DC 'burb spot is The Royal Mile in Wheaton. They have a great list of single malts, some nice celtic music and a wonderful haggis plate.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:36 pm

Excuse me, but it is patently impossible for the words "wonderful" and "haggis" to be used together.

Even for a Scotsman.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:46 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Another great 'DC 'burb spot is The Royal Mile in Wheaton. They have a great list of single malts, some nice celtic music and a wonderful haggis plate.

You'd need the great single malts before/during/after the haggis plate.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 pm

[/quote]There are some great places in the "burbs if you know where to look. I just couldn't imagine the drive to Clarendon. Did the Metro get you there? Another great 'DC 'burb spot is The Royal Mile in Wheaton. They have a great list of single malts, some nice celtic music and a wonderful haggis plate.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, a lot of the better ethnic cuisine has moved out of the city and into the suburbs as well (Annandale for Korean, Bailey's Crossroads for Vietnamese or Peruvian, Chinese in Silver Spring, etc.) This is a pretty good resource for some ideas: http://www.tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com/

Yep, the metro will take you right into Clarendon on the orange line.

I'll keep the Royal Mile in mind for when I'm up that way sometime!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:57 pm

Hoke wrote:Excuse me, but it is patently impossible for the words "wonderful" and "haggis" to be used together.

Even for a Scotsman.

Haggis and single malts are made for each other. Try it some time! I was initially sceptical, but after I loved it. (Could it have been the three single malts?) :oops:
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:12 pm

James, there's a short review in today's (03-08-07) Examiner. Among other things, the review says the cheese puffs are nothing special - I thought they were great and worth a visit all by themselves!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Is this place near the Reagan Center where the Wine Festival is taking place? I wonder if I should make reservations for a late dinner Saturday? Of course it'll be packed. I think I'll probably head home.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:10 am

Yes, just a block west of the FBI building, where the old Warner Brother store was.
JP