Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine with soup?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Wine with soup?

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:14 am

Wine with soup? Some say it doesn't work, but this article persuasively begs to differ. What do you think?

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/11/07/ ... with-wine/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: Wine with soup?

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:16 am

I posted this in the Wine Forum and then wondered if it should have been in FLDG, so I decided to make a copy and post it in both. After all, it's getting to be soup season, in the Northern Hemisphere anyway. (Hi, Barb Downunder!)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:32 am

One can do it. Because of course it's just wine and one can always pour it down one's throat. But if we're really getting particular then I don't think it's the best match, too much liquid following liquid.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:11 am

Rahsaan wrote:... I don't think it's the best match, too much liquid following liquid.

<Lightbulb going off>

I hadn't thought of it that way before, Rahsaan. I know that in theory I feel that food-matching principles should work, yet the match is rarely exciting. You make a strong argument why that should be. It also suggests (as David suggested in the WLDG iteration of this topic) that thicker, richer soups work best. I'm thinking chili, clam chowder ...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:33 am

I agree with both of you: it's too much liquid, generally speaking, but a very thick soup can make it work. I recall Jay Miller serving a very rich cream of celery root with Chablis that worked wonderfully.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:58 pm

I don't agree with any of you! Other than the fact that I rarely serve brothy soups at the time of day or in the meals in which I serve wine, there's no reason on earth why I wouldn't based on texture alone. Chicken noodle soup? The way I make it, it's chicken and noodles with some broth. Ditto tomato/beef/onion/noodle. Pho. Ravioli lightly cooked in chicken broth. Chinese hot and sour soup. Mexican meatball soup. Or, say, garbanzo bean and leeks with noodles in a chicken-parmesan broth. These are all broth-based favorites in the soup department here at Chez J. Wine is thirst-quenching; salty/meaty broths are not. Wine would provide that fruity opposition/contrast in flavor and temperature just like it does with solid food. I see no difference at all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:58 am

Sherry with consommé is a classic pairing, and I could go a nice dry sherry with a gazpacho (soup for "my" season Robin :D )
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:00 am

Jenise wrote:I don't agree with any of you! Other than the fact that I rarely serve brothy soups at the time of day or in the meals in which I serve wine, there's no reason on earth why I wouldn't based on texture alone. Chicken noodle soup? The way I make it, it's chicken and noodles with some broth. Ditto tomato/beef/onion/noodle. Pho. Ravioli lightly cooked in chicken broth. Chinese hot and sour soup. Mexican meatball soup. Or, say, garbanzo bean and leeks with noodles in a chicken-parmesan broth. These are all broth-based favorites in the soup department here at Chez J. Wine is thirst-quenching; salty/meaty broths are not. Wine would provide that fruity opposition/contrast in flavor and temperature just like it does with solid food. I see no difference at all.

Well then you're not really advocating for the virtues of liquid chasing liquid. Rather, you're saying that soup can be more than liquid. Which is fair. And I'm not the biggest stickler for 'perfect matches'. But one thing I do find sub-optimal is the mingling of two different liquids in the mouth, because then the distinctions are gone and the integrity of the wine is muddied. So yes, all things can be flexible and the thicker and less brothy the soup the better.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote: But one thing I do find sub-optimal is the mingling of two different liquids in the mouth, because then the distinctions are gone and the integrity of the wine is muddied. So yes, all things can be flexible and the thicker and less brothy the soup the better.

Ah, then we eat/drink differently! I swallow my food before taking a drink. Mingling does not occur except with the aftertaste.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:30 pm

I mostly swallow the food before drinking as well, but something still seems off about soup. Perhaps I'll try it again soon with soup and pay more attention to how it all goes down!
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:24 am

A thick puréed black bean soup, preferably with smoked ham hock added, pairs wonderfully with sherry (my preference is for dryish Oloroso).
Likewise, I am told, with a puréed pea soup, although I'm allergic to it, so I don't partake of it.

I just found a recipe for pasta e fagioli soup that is supposed to go well with Chianti.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Ted Richards wrote:A thick puréed black bean soup, preferably with smoked ham hock added, pairs wonderfully with sherry (my preference is for dryish Oloroso).
Likewise, I am told, with a puréed pea soup, although I'm allergic to it, so I don't partake of it.

I just found a recipe for pasta e fagioli soup that is supposed to go well with Chianti.

Pea soup with sherry is a favorite here at Chez J!