Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chef Jose Andres on being an American

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Chef Jose Andres on being an American

by Jenise » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:26 pm

"What I see in this election is someone trying to point towards the worst the human species has: degrading women; calling people, including senators and prisoners of war, names; attacking an entire religion for the small percentage of people doing harm; saying Mexicans are rapists. We have somebody that aims to be called the leader of the free world that does not have the decency to offer a simple apology. In this election, we have somebody trying to bring in the worst that humanity has been trying so hard to fight against. We have a siren, tempting sailors, like I was, with a very dangerous song. My body as a human activated in a way I never imagined.

When I became a citizen, the officiant told us that America expects us to bring the best of who we are from the countries we came from and make that part of the American DNA. The officiant told us that to become an American was to become an active citizen, improving our democracy, and speaking up, not being silenced. Those words really stuck with me.

I'm still going through litigation with the Trump Organization. All I can say right now is that my decision to pull out of the D.C. hotel project was, above all, a business decision. Whatever the judge rules, I will obey and I will abide. But in this election, I am not doing anything more than the mandate I was given as a new American: to be an active citizen of our democracy. I'm only one more American with my actions and words declaring what I believe America stands for.

I believe the future of immigrants in America looks better than ever. I believe the best is to come. Everybody in America is a son of an immigrant, with all the due respect to Native Americans, who were here before all of us. I am an immigrant at heart, and I feel the value of immigrants like me: We are bridges, we are not walls, walls that humanity has been working centuries to bring down.
I believe we will pass immigration reform. And when we do, I believe that everyone will see how these currently undocumented people have been, for many, many years, helping to move America forward. It will show the world that America is always that democracy, that country, that keeps fighting for the rights of those that have no voice.

I remember Steinbeck's words in Grapes of Wrath: "Wherever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there." For me as a chef, the word "eat" is very personal. I want to be a chef, I want to be a cook, I want to create jobs, I want to feed people. I've always loved the notion that America is the melting pot. This is what makes America stand out as the most fascinating country in the rich history of humanity. We only need to make sure that this pot is what keeps making America rich, not just in the economic sense, but also spiritually and socially, so that we all may come from different backgrounds and be happy here, sitting around the same table, enjoying this same pot that we all are working so hard to make."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

morrie.zimmerman

Rank

Just got here

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Re: Chef Jose Andres on being an American

by morrie.zimmerman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Being from Philadelphia, I learned during a recent visit to DC, rather by serendipity, that Jose Andres creates magic and exceptional dining experiences. After delving deeper into his beliefs and operations, I discovered his reach back out to the world is also exceptional. Thanks for sharing his statements and perspectives.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:17 am

Welcome to the forum, Morrie! I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with Andres.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:50 pm

Appreciate your comments, Morris. Indeed, Jose is a Class act. It was no accident that I posted this on election day. Welcome to FLDG!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:47 pm

The outstanding podcast How I Built This has an excellent extended interview with JosA(c) AndrA(c)s.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Once again, as so often the case, an immigrant proves more "American" than the Americans who insult immigrants.

I honor Andres for not only being a great chef, but also as a hugely successful businessman who, unlike an obvious other, manages to maintain a high moral standard in all his endeavors.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Hoke wrote:Once again, as so often the case, an immigrant proves more "American" than the Americans who insult immigrants.

I honor Andres for not only being a great chef, but also as a hugely successful businessman who, unlike an obvious other, manages to maintain a high moral standard in all his endeavors.

Indeed. Have you eaten at any of his restaurants? I've only been to one, Bazaar in L.A., and boy was it a memorable meal.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Oh, yes indeedy.

Jaleo in Las Vegas---truly outstanding. Excellent and joyous, tapas done brilliantly. Also the number one account in the US for Herredia. Brilliant bar. The drinks are every bit as creative as the food. They are known to incorporate some of the food elements in their cocktails; one signature cocktail is a take-off on the Blood and Sand, which uses a smoky mezcal (Del Maguey Vida) with the tomato water pressings for their pan con tomate. It's great.

Also China Poblano...yes, a Mexican/Chinese restaurant. You sorta have to go there to figure it out, but it works.

Also the flagship Jaleo in DC (recently remodeled). It was great---but tell the truth, I like the Vegas place better.

Right now the shining star is Zaitinya in DC. Huge, high-ceilinged, always filled with people chattering away; loud, but loud with people having a good time, enthused over their meal, enjoying the hell out of themselves. Young, busy, smiling staff, but very well informed. Pan-Levantine/Mediterranean, with Turkish, Greek, Armenian, Lebanese, Israeli, Cypriot, etc., foods delivered up tapas-style, where the small plates just keep on coming out, one more impressive than the other (and hoo boy, if you like eggplant, this is the place). Cocktail list is startlingly good. Wine list is of the same region (with stuff like Hochar/Musar prominentm and lots of great Greek wines); well selected and the staff is great at pairings.

One neat feature, especially in a time when many restaurants make you pay extra for bread: the staff keeps plopping down wire baskets overflowing with small, perfect piping-hot puffs of fresh pita. You never have to ask---about the time you start getting low, shazzaam, and another one lands on the table.

Zaitinya is amazing---buzzing with excitement, happy people being happy, and the sheer enjoyment of the food, the wine, and the people.

(Can you tell I like the place?)