Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Yogurt vs milk in mashed potatoes?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Yogurt vs milk in mashed potatoes?

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Mashed-potato-yogurt.jpg

Neither Mary nor I cares for milk as a beverage, so we rarely have any around the house, and with this impetus I've found that a little plain organic yogurt thinned with a small amount of potato water - plus butter, of course - makes an excellent substitute. It contributes the necessary dairy but also adds an appetizing tang that you don't get with milk. In the dish pictured, I used this procedure and also stirred in a bit of grated grana padano and finished it with a good fine grind of black pepper.

I posted this on Facebook to general agreement, but I noticed that David B disagreed, which reminded me to post over here for further conversation. So, what do you think of this idea?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Yogurt vs milk in mashed potatoes?

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:44 pm

Why not. I can imagine the tang is a nice feature. I'm all for these 'experiments'.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:51 am

Any dairy will work: milk, cream, butter, buttermilk, yogurt, sour cream, creme fraiche.... It comes out slightly differently but they're all good. (Remember, I'm the guy who doesn't care much about cake vs pie but I can't pass up ice cream.)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:51 am

During my 6 month chemotherapy I developed lactose intolerance, so I've substituted yogurt for milk in a few dishes, such as pancakes and white bread. It almost gives the bread a sourdough taste.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:35 am

I loathe mash, especially with the addition of anything.....and butter on any vegetables
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:19 am

I love mashed potatoes pretty much any way you make them. I've done them with butter and potato water only and with additions of cream, milk, sour cream, and half an half. I love them all. Yogurt sounds like it would work well.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I love mashed potatoes pretty much any way you make them. I've done them with butter and potato water only and with additions of cream, milk, sour cream, and half an half. I love them all. Yogurt sounds like it would work well.

I'm with you, Mike. The yogurt approach was kind of serendipitous for me because I discovered it by accident, going with a dollop one time because we didn't have any milk. Not only did it work well, it added a nice dairy tang that you don't get with milk and could get only at a much greater calorific expense with sour cream.
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 am

Try mixing in a fine olive oil instead of butter or any other additive, do it while mashing the potatoes, and continue adding oil + salt and pepper as needed while mashing and mixing until you get a smooth creamy puree. 'Tis our preference by far.
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 am

Mike_F wrote:Try mixing in a fine olive oil instead of butter or any other additive...

Of course, always good to take things in a Southern direction. A friend of mine from Spain once gasped when he saw me adding milk to mashed potatoes, lamenting that I had spent too much time around northern Europeans.