Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pete Wells (New York Times Restaurant Critic)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Pete Wells (New York Times Restaurant Critic)

by Brian K Miller » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:24 pm

is just hilarious. I LOVE his sarcastic, sardonic take downs:

To the right of the glass doors on Church Street is an entryway framed by fold upon fold of shimmery red fabric, suggesting that you are about to walk into a room full of elegantly debauched vampires. Instead you find hotel guests and solitary men in an awkward lounge illuminated by slashing bolts of red neon lightning; it’s how you’d imagine a sexy downtown bar if you’d never been downtown, gone to a bar or had sex.

To the left of the entrance is the main dining room, its rear wall given entirely over to a diptych by a young, fast-climbing artist named Alex Israel. Each half of the work features text in sans-serif block capitals, in the manner of Barbara Kruger, but instead of spooky aphorisms about power, we get cheese-ball romantic comedy dialogue superimposed on pink fireworks:

“‘Sometimes you know it in your head,’ the chef whispered.”

“‘Sometimes you feel it in your stomach,’ she smiled, buzzed.”

Sometimes you gag in your mouth, the critic sighed.

Early in the meal, a short glass vase arrives at the table loaded with Parmesan-crusted breadsticks about a yard long. They always seem to be aimed straight at my face, as if challenging me to a duel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/dining/cut-by-wolfgang-puck-review.html?ref=dining&_r=0
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Pete Wells (New York Times Restaurant Critic)

by Jenise » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Pete Well's snarky criticism is one of the most refreshing things in food writing today. I'm always disappointed when I pick up a NYT and there ISN'T one of his reviews in it. Thanks for the link, I hadn't read this one yet!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Of course, I then had to revisit classic takedown of Guy Fieri. :mrgreen: :twisted:

GUY FIERI, have you eaten at your new restaurant in Times Square? Have you pulled up one of the 500 seats at Guy’s American Kitchen & Bar and ordered a meal? Did you eat the food? Did it live up to your expectations?

Did panic grip your soul as you stared into the whirling hypno wheel of the menu, where adjectives and nouns spin in a crazy vortex? When you saw the burger described as “Guy’s Pat LaFrieda custom blend, all-natural Creekstone Farm Black Angus beef patty, LTOP (lettuce, tomato, onion + pickle), SMC (super-melty-cheese) and a slathering of Donkey Sauce on garlic-buttered brioche,” did your mind touch the void for a minute?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dinin ... quare.html
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:59 pm

The Fieri one is an enduring classic.

I'd be scared to death if I had a restaurant and Wells walked into it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:The Fieri one is an enduring classic.

I'd be scared to death if I had a restaurant and Wells walked into it.

Me, too!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:24 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'd be scared to death if I had a restaurant and Wells walked into it.

Me, too!

I think he intentionally goes after outsized egos with that kind of review. You guys would probably be safe even if you slipped on a dish or two.