Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

High Honey Sriracha Popcorn

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

High Honey Sriracha Popcorn

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm

We had some friends over to watch a movie a couple of evenings ago, so I was looking around the web for flavored popcorn recipes. I happened across this one on Epicurious, which sounded pretty good from the name. "Honey and Sriracha might make for a nice combination", I thought, "although I'm not sure I need a high level of honey in there. Maybe make sure not to put too much in..." But when I checked out the actual recipe, it turned out that the "high" part had nothing to do with the amount of honey. That's evident in the instructions to "decarb" the "herb" and to make very sure you eat no more than a cup of the popcorn and then wait an hour to see how things go.

Who'd have guessed? Cannabis recipes on Epicurious. These are indeed wondrous times we live in.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: High Honey Sriracha Popcorn

by Howie Hart » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Very interesting.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:58 pm

In the June 2013 edition of Edible Seattle they have dedicated the issue to the herb with recipes for Pot Pesto, Green Goddess Dressing, Pot Roasted Chicken, Killer Brownies, Cannabutter (the base compound for many desserts made with the herb) and Pot buttered rum toddy. This was just after Seattle had passed the ordinance making recreational pot legal. So, there is a tip at the end of the article and recipes with a URL for those considering this as a business opportunity. I spoke to a community eatery about the possibility of preparing a couple sample desserts for them to offer as a dessert option, and they were interested. But, alas, I can't stand the smell of the stuff so that was an opportunity that evaporated.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:10 am

How remarkable. Being a child of the sixties (I think, can't really remember :!: ) that would have merit.
However in my dotage I now defer to greater wisdom form the US of A when it comes to sweet popcorn, however My favourite is to toss the freshly popped corn with butter, salt and truffle oil, swoon.
For my gen truffle is the new high.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:32 am

Barb Downunder wrote:My favourite is to toss the freshly popped corn with butter, salt and truffle oil, swoon.

We have taken to tossing freshly popped corn with grated Parmigiano while the corn is still quite hot. You really don't even need salt or butter! :)

Not that there is anything wrong with that!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Barb Downunder wrote:My favourite is to toss the freshly popped corn with butter, salt and truffle oil, swoon.

We have taken to tossing freshly popped corn with grated Parmigiano while the corn is still quite hot. You really don't even need salt or butter! :)

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

I like to pop the corn in EVOO and sprinkle with grated romano cheese.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:We have taken to tossing freshly popped corn with grated Parmigiano while the corn is still quite hot. You really don't even need salt or butter! :)

Love that too, but have also found that a little olive oil helps the parm stick better.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov