Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Nicasio Valley Cheese Company

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Nicasio Valley Cheese Company

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm

I was able to do an amazing bicycle ride through the West Marin countryside this past Saturday. So green it almost hurt! Anyway, after dragging my slow, plump middle aged butt into the cutesy village of Nicasio, I stopped at Nicasio Valley Cheese Company.

This is not your standard mild bland American cheese! We are talking POTENT washed rind stuff! My favorite remains the simply named "Square" which is a funky washed rind cheese. Delicious and earthy and creamy and savory and delicious!

I picked up a second cheese which was probably a little long in the tooth (there was a whiff of ammonia after a couple of days, although it still tasted fine). In fact, the plastic food saver required substantial scrubbing and washing to get the funk out!

Anyway: If you like funky cheese, this is the place. Some of their cheeses may transcend Cowgirl Creamery's Red Hawk in pungency!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Nicasio Valley Cheese Company

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:17 pm

I've had a couple of theirs in the past and I agree - they make some pretty amazing cheese!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child