Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Roast asparagus! What time and temp do you like?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Roast asparagus! What time and temp do you like?

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:48 pm

What's your preference for roasting asparagus? I like 10-15 minutes at 450F, but how about you? How hot? How long?

This recipe by Martha Rose Shulman is pretty close to what I like, although I might crank up the heat a little more to go for browning. As Yaniger famously said, "The Maillard Reaction is your friend."

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... -asparagus

I've also been known to dust the roasting spear-grass with a little grated Parmigiano toward the end ...
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Roast asparagus! What time and temp do you like?

by John Treder » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 pm

I actually prefer to saute asparagus on the stove top, a little olive oil and a healthy sprinkling of minced garlic.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:51 pm

I don't know. Depends on the asparagus, how good (although I'm unlikely to put the really good stuff in the oven at all), how thick, how thin, etc.

But your specs sound good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Confession: I don't roast asparagus. It does taste good, but I much prefer the fresh 100% natural, unvarnished taste of steamed. I prepare it this way most of the time, and then either finish it with lemon and butter for a main course accompaniament or, probably more often, let it cool down and finish with a tarragon vinaigrette or lemon juice, olive oil and parmesan cheese for a starter course.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Those are delicious approaches, too, Jenise. I just like variety. Some days I feel like a roast, some days I don't. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:09 pm

If good fresh asparagus were available year round at a reasonable price, I'd probably be more adventurous. Problem is, season's always over before I get my fill. OH, and my entire asparagus garden was killed by this winter's cold. :cry:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Well, now, if you're talking about fresh local (or garden) asparagus, I'd agree: Simplest is best. I really don't mind Peruvian (most common off-season source) for roasting, risotto, pesto and other dishes where it's not a standalone.
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:16 pm

I often just coat with olive oil, salt and pepper, and put it on the grill. (I use a grill pan for this.) Medium heat is best but I'll just go with whatever heat I'm using for what I'm cooking, so if it's a steak the heat's going to be high. Turn until it just begins to char on the outside. Easy and good. Works with many other vegetables too such as onions, green peppers, zucchini, etc.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.