Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Top Chef: Who's going to win?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Top Chef: Who's going to win?

by Jenise » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:51 pm

I'll admit it. I'm in love with this show. Only, I hardly get to see it. One day I was stuck on the sofa with a migraine and lucked into a marathon of back episodes, so I got hooked and caught up in one fell swoop. Since then I've seen an episode here or there, but it's on too late for me on Wednesday nights so I end up either lucking into a reshowing at some other point or catching up on the website without watching the episode at all like I have for the past two weeks.

Just now I learned that Michael got sent home last week. All I can say is, it's about time. He's a loveable teddy bear of a guy, totally harmless, but he's just not in the same league as the others. The best line of perhaps the entire series occurred at his expense, wherein Anthony Bourdain said, "It's like Julia Child and Charles Manson had a lovechild, and he's cooking for me." He knows how to cook, but he doesn't have the sophistication and impeccable taste needed for the total package. I'm surprised he got this far.

Barb, who should win and who should go home next?

From what I've seen, my votes for a final three would go with Marcel, Ilan and Cliff. Sam's a dark horse for me because my viewing has been so spotty, and on those shows he's never erred seriously nor has he shown particularly brightly. Should he be a finalist? Should prickly Marcel, who only makes food, not friends?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Top Chef: Who's going to win?

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Excuse me, but you are the top chef in my book Jenise.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm not a marcel fan...from last season: a chef needs to be able to unite people under him and I seriously doubt Marcel could do that successfully.

I AM a Sam fan, even if he's a bit ..pretentious...and I like Cliff over Elan...let me just say if Elia thought THAT was raising his voice in a kitchen (Cliff said something not in a conversational tone), that woman just has NOT been yelled at in a professional kitchen yet. Because that weren't no yelling coming from cliff.

So they are my numbers one and two: Sam then Cliff.

Oh, but watch Wednesday for sure...I believe someone gets tossed bec. of a prank...did you see the previews? I cannot imagine. Or, rather, my imagination is running wild.

b
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:25 am

Ok, I'm a fan of this show also.

There is a bit of melodrama being played out with the Marcel thing. While he may not have very well developed social skills, he is always willing to pitch in and help. Doesn't seem to be the case with the others. The lack of professionalism on the parts of everyone who deals with Marcel is appalling. It's down right childish. I kind of feel sorry for him.

Except Cliff...who has, so far, managed to keep his cool. But none of this bunch can seem to bring anyone together into a team. There, are, as far as I can tell a bunch of chefs...but no real leader. Unlike the first bunch. (I caught a marathon of Top Chef 1 & recorded them...which got me hooked)

Too many chefs and not enough indians...sorry...couldn't let that pass.

In any case I think Cliff is the best...but I don't think he has what it takes to run a restaurant.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:49 pm

Wow, Carl, thank you!

Richard and Barb: totally understood about a chef's need to be a leader, hence my comment about Marcel's personality issues. Richard's right, though, that Marcel has shown some genuine class chipping in to help others. I remember one such occasion when he helped Betty (with her unsuccessful creme brulees, IIRC); which she kind of trashed him for quite unfairly later. Not that anyone thought Betty was running a charm school....

I'd certainly have no qualms about Sam (who's very likable, even if I can't remember being impressed), Ilan or Cliff. Elia is less to my liking and I thought she demonstrated spectacularly that she doesn't have the leadership qualities needed at all: she wouldn't be there now if Mia hadn't taken her bullet for that one.

Haven't seen the previews for tomorrow night yet, but I'll go look. And, as of this week I have recording ability so from now on I'll be seeing all the episodes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:34 pm

Jenise,

Check tomorrows schedule early. I'm thinking that Bravo runs all the episodes up to the normal 9:pm showing (CST)

Now its getting down to it...everyone left is a good candidate. All its going to take now is an ill conceived concept or failed dish. I would not be surprised to see most of the contestants pull back to the fundamentals instead of trying to push the envelope.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:10 pm

Richard, they do run past episodes, but not in order so tuning in one hour early won't get you last week's episode. At least, the one time I tried it thinking same would be the case, it wasn't.

And yeah, you're right, anyone could win.

Say, does anyone know, is Padma still married to Salman Rushdie?
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:37 pm

When I pitched Padma as a cover story to a magazine for their foodie issue, she was still married to Rushdie--that wuold have been late Oct/early Nov...they passed, wanting a bigger name a la Wolfgang (which is when I realized I was pushing the wrong type of "new" celebrity...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:56 pm

I'm all for Cliff or Sam. I like Marcel's attempt at creativity and pushing boundaries but he just isnt all that likeable. As Jenise said, Elia should have been booted already. Elan is solid as well. It sure is a fun show.

My favorite line so far was also from Bourdain commenting about Michael and his "Flinstonian execution". :lol: