Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Good Match at Luciano's in Port Lucaya

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Good Match at Luciano's in Port Lucaya

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:57 pm

I visited the Bahamas this past weekend for the first time, and had a pretty enjoyable experience with a food/wine match at a place called Luciano's.

I was dining alone, so I felt it was prudent to stick with whatever they were offering by the glass. I had decided on the conch chowder (tomato based) to start and the duck breast in a peppercorn sauce as my main. I asked for the waiter's assistance in choosing a wine that would go well with both, and we decided to try a domaine des Bas Cieux Beaujolais.

My first sip was really pretty uninspiring/flat...flabby is the word I think you "geeks" use :lol: But then came the conch chowder, and WHAM! it completely opened up the wine for me. Really lent it some strength and fullness that just didn't seem to be there on it's own. And, the wine also enhanced the chowder...brought out the "seafood" flavor which was initially kind of overwhelmed by the tomoto flavor (I thought).

Then, when the duck came, I was back at square one with the Beaujolais - it just wasn't working again. So I asked the waiter for another suggestion, and he recommended trying the 2003 Wente Cab. As soon as I put my nose in it, I knew I was going to like it (I like bolder, spicier reds, and I could tell this was one of them). The spiciness of the cab really went well with the spiciness of the peppercorn sauce, and made the sauce seem that much creamier.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a newbie's food/wine match experience!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Good Match at Luciano's in Port Lucaya

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 am

Sounds like a really nice meal! It's wonderful when you get a dish that really turns a wine around.

And man, the Bahamas sound good. These sub-freezing mornings are getting old for us Californians!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child