Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

This Is A Good One!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

This Is A Good One!

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 pm

About a month ago I got a recipe in my inbox from my Epicurious subscription service for Spreadable Coffee Butter. I don't care for coffee the drink, but I like the flavor. And, I love good quality butter. So, I made the recipe. LOVE IT! Then I thought I would experiment and make a mocha butteri like that one even better! I recommend you try it. It is going to be my hostess gift for a period.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes-menus ... ad-article
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: This Is A Good One!

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:39 am

That sounds good Jo Ann, and a great idea for a hostess gift. So on toast, hot pancakes, ooh add a dash of Marsala or Kahulua or Tia Maria etc to the mix and put on bread pudding. I can see the mocha dimension would be even better. Can adding chocolate be a bad thing?

I might give this a try but substitute a shot of espresso for the powder and oil, do you think that would work?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: This Is A Good One!

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:I might give this a try but substitute a shot of espresso for the powder and oil, do you think that would work?

Depending on the amount in your shot, it may make the butter too loose to set up in the fridge. The powder and oil worked well for me. In the fridge it will set up not quite as firm as a stick of butter. But you should take it out of the fridge 10-15 minutes before spreading. I thought about a splash of Kahlua too, probably stirred in just before serving. I put ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon in the mocha. Yum!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon