Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Smashed Cucumbers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Smashed Cucumbers

by Jenise » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:18 pm

The New York Times recently published a hit receipt for Smashed Cucumber Salad. Kenji at Serious Eats nods at the phenomena created while explaining that it's not new, but a very Sichuan specialty providing a wonderful, cooling foil to the heat of Sichuan dishes. His recipe and the NYT's are different: but the point is that the seasoning can be anything you want it to be. The important part is the smashing technique itself.

When sliced, cucumbers have a closed surface. When bruised, the cucumbers have lots of openings that absorb the dressing/marinade differently. As Kenji notes, some will be super crisp and other parts will be a near rubble. The bruised and salted cucumbers turn very transluscent, too. The result is very attractive.

Btw, Kenji smashed the whole cucumber and then slices it, That produces more cuts than I like. More rustic and therefore even more loyal to the technique's goal IMO are cucumbers cut in half, smashed from the skin side (he uses a cleaver, I use a no-handle rolling pin), and then hand-torn into segments. I salt and let them drip in a colander for an hour or three to extrude water and concentrate the flavor, then press to squeeze out excess moisture and dress with sesame oil, salt, white vinegar and loads of garlic. Kenji suggests black vinegar but I don't care for the stain, and the NYT adds soy sauce to theirs which adds a nice warm tawny look and salty-Asian flavor.

Anyway, I'm doing a bowl for tonight's Fourth soiree. If you haven't tried smashed cucumbers yet, you need to!

Here's a link to Kenji's article and recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015 ... ecipe.html
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Smashed Cucumbers

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Hmm, interesting ...
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:05 pm

A bit of dried Thai bird chile along with the sesame oil can be nice depending on the rest of the meal
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:10 pm

I did throw in some generic red chile flakes. Subtle spice will be best--my BBQ sauce is pretty hot. Which I apply more as a drizzle at service. They're not cooked or mopped with it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 am

Interesting factoid: smashed, the cucumbers diminish in volume. I was serving six people and selected two healthy sized (English) cucumbers. More than enough for a conventional cucumber salad. But when I got the smashed, squeezed cukes in a bowl? Didn't look right, and I added a third. We ate them all.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:58 am

I'll definitely have to try this one out with the leftovers from the Sichuan dry-fried beef that I made last night.

-Paul W.