Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The end of stage-ing in American restaurants is here

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The end of stage-ing in American restaurants is here

by Jenise » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:51 pm

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: The end of stage-ing in American restaurants is here

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 am

That is a curious thing. While I don't know much about your labour laws there seems to be a double standard of sorts here. Waiting staff are apparently paid a pittance and must rely on tips to make a decent wage. Don't know what chefs are paid. But if someone wishes to intern for free, so long as it is of free will, for a defined ,short term as part of an individual quest for Personal development and is given those opportunities in the organisation I don't see it is exploitation.
Certainly here there can be issues with this type of work experience, and insurance is a major component of that.
It would be a shame if chefs and restaurants were unable to share and learn from each other.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:That is a curious thing. While I don't know much about your labour laws there seems to be a double standard of sorts here. Waiting staff are apparently paid a pittance and must rely on tips to make a decent wage. Don't know what chefs are paid. But if someone wishes to intern for free, so long as it is of free will, for a defined ,short term as part of an individual quest for Personal development and is given those opportunities in the organisation I don't see it is exploitation.
Certainly here there can be issues with this type of work experience, and insurance is a major component of that.
It would be a shame if chefs and restaurants were unable to share and learn from each other.

I don't get it either. Looking at it from the intern's POV, the experience is sought-after, voluntary. So at any point one starts to feel exploited, walk away. You don't even need a letter of resignation, just go. Otherwise, as long as you're willing to stick around, they'll find something for you to do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm

WWOOF (worldwide opportunities on Organic farms ) has faced similar issues, especially in EU.
Original name was Working Weekends On Organic Farms, till labor law crackdowns due to word Work.
My stepson David did WWOOF-IT in Piedmont and Sicily (latter on a vineyard)
I support labor laws, but there should be some common sense in enforcement
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 am

Is David pursuing a career in culinary arts?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:04 am

No, though he worked as a pastry chef, he is getting PhD in English at Berkeley. But his then girlfriend was passionate about organic farming, and is working on a farm in Hudson Valley.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:13 pm

What I didn't see in the article was how the situation was brought to the attention of the government. Did someone report it? I think that if he had stagiaires sign a contract that they would pay him $50 a month as tuition but could terminate at any time, he'd probably get around whatever objection the government raised.

That amount of payment would sure put a crimp in your month, though. $149K??
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:29 pm

I don't know the answer to that, Bill; I wondered too. My connection there left the restaurant during this past year so I can't find out through back channels, either.