Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Raddichio and Nectarine Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Raddichio and Nectarine Salad

by Jenise » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Had six couples to dinner last night and served three salads as side dishes, all of which showed well but the standout was my riff on an idea I got from Bon Appetit magazine. I didn't do their dressing or add feta cheese. I added fresh basil. And at the last minute I skipped the roasted walnuts in favor of raw sliced almonds for their ability to stick to the components of the salad.

The salad was strikingly colorful and absolutely delicious. For sheer vibrance, salad doesn't get any more attractive. Many went back for seconds--at the end of the night, it was the only salad bowl completely emptied. Requires last minute prep due to oxidation concerns, but that last step only takes about two minutes.

5 nectarines (I used gold vs. white)
1 largish head raddichio
About 10 basil leaves, chiffonade cut
1 handful sliced almonds
1 fresh lemon
EVOO

The do-ahead step: tear the raddichio leaves into strips.
At service, slice and add the nectarines and basil. Add almonds, the juice of 1 lemon, a pinch or two of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix, serve.

Would also make a great base for fresh mozzarella--a caprese type salad.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RCP: Raddichio and Nectarine Salad

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 pm

That sounds quite nice.

I recently had a salad mix that I've never had before: arugula and mixed berries. The pungent greenery is rather harmonious with the floral-sweetness of the blueberries, in particular. I really like how they tame each other.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Great minds think alike! When I went to the grocery store on Sunday the nectarines were so perfectly ripe that you could smell them the minute you entered the produce department. I thought, salad! My mix was as follows:
Mixed salad greens
Nectarine slices
Red onions
Avocado
Roasted hazelnuts
Shallot/basil/lemon vinegarettte

Slap Yo' Mama!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:12 am

I could eat that! Gorgeous combination, especially with the input of the avocado.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:06 am

Curse you all!
They all sound sensational and it's winter here, no nectarines for months.
Sigh.
Enjoy you summer fruits.