Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tomato vinegar? Tomato bottarga? YES!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Tomato vinegar? Tomato bottarga? YES!

by Jenise » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:34 pm

From Nate Sears, chef at The Wilt in Chicago:

Last year, at the end of tomato season, I bought about 200 pounds of tomatoes. They were seconds, and dirt-cheap. I had a couple of rough ideas of what I wanted to do with them, but no set plan. I try to not have a set idea with projects like this; when I do, I wind up being disappointed, So I started with a vague plan, and thought I’d just taste it as it went along. First, I salted the tomatoes to kick-start the extraction of the liquid, and threw them in the fridge. From there, I left them on the counter, and let them get that white mold on them and ferment a bit.

One of my former sous chefs made a Sicilian fermented tomato paste. To make that, you salt the tomatoes and pass them through a food mill. You then press them down with a weight to get all the juice out, then air-dry them, then salt them again. It turns into a fermented tomato paste that is amazingly good. Sicilians have done this for centuries; they bottle it up and throw it in olive oil, and have tomato paste for the rest of the year.

I wanted to make it saltier, to preserve it, so we rolled it into logs and dehydrated it. It’s like a tomato bottarga that we can microplane when we want to use. The additional salt adds extra brightness to a dish, and the fermentation gave it a slight funk, but nothing crazy. We increased the acidity and the salt content, so as you microplane it over a dish, you get a really nice pop of flavor instead of a muted thing that isn’t salty enough to make an impact.

I was left with 75 liters of liquid that we had pressed out of the pulp, and didn’t want to throw it out. I tasted it, and it reminded me a little of the fleur de sel vinegar from Rare Tea Cellars, which has been an obsession of mine for a long time. The fleur de sel vinegar is made with seaweed and apple cider vinegar, so I took the inspiration from that to try and make a slightly salty, rich-flavored vinegar with tomato vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar as the base.

I had read about a guy making tomato wine, and I knew that I needed sugar to create alcohol, that would convert into vinegar. We added a Champagne yeast to it, and enough honey to it get the brix level where it would render to about 10 to 12 percent alcohol. We put it into air-locked containers, and let it ferment until all the yeast ate the sugar. We had a salty tomato wine at that point; it smelled and tasted like booze.

From there, we poured it into a Jim Beam bourbon barrel, about four parts tomato wine and one part Bragg’s natural apple cider vinegar with the mother in it. We kept the cap open to let oxygen in, and let it sit for four months, so we got the full conversion to vinegar. Then we capped it, let it coast until this summer, and now we have a nice barrel-aged tomato vinegar. It has a nice sweetness to it, all the oaky, smoky, toasty flavors from the bourbon barrel, plus the salinity from the fleur de sel. You have to be in it for the long haul with projects like this, but it’s worth it

The tomato stuff in the first part of this article reminds me of a Tomato Pesto, Italian, in a jar, that my brother gifted me with. It basically explains how that would have been made--I'd been unable to figure it out.

But wow tomato vinegar. I can make that on my countertop the way I make red wine vinegar. Going to do it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Tomato vinegar? Tomato bottarga? YES!

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Wow, wOw and woW !!!! A pity we don't live close to each other. I will definitely make the fermented paste this year. You could have the tomato water. My farmer's market always have give away tomatoes at the end of the season. Will make 20# batches. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hate to throw things away so I will probably end up trying the vinegar as well.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:03 am

But wow tomato vinegar. I can make that on my countertop the way I make red wine vinegar. Going to do it!

It sounds great.
Interested in how you make your red wine vinegar, I just add a vinegar mother and let it ferment out.
This method seems a lot more complex, because, obviously there needs to be alcohol to ferment, not sure if I am up to this challenge.
If you give it a go please post about your efforts, you should have it done by the time tomato season arrives for me :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:48 am

Barb Downunder wrote:

It sounds great.
Interested in how you make your red wine vinegar, I just add a vinegar mother and let it ferment out.
This method seems a lot more complex, because, obviously there needs to be alcohol to ferment, not sure if I am up to this challenge.
If you give it a go please post about your efforts, you should have it done by the time tomato season arrives for me :D

That's pretty much what I do. Though usually what I have is a leftover wine that smells a tad vinegarry after a day or three--it's on it's way then and I will let it develop it's own mother which it does in 3-4 weeks and then I divide it, and start feeding both and so on until I get tired of dividing and think the mixture tastes right. Then I blend, cap and date the bottles and put them in the cellar to age. Right now I'm using vinegar I made in 2013 from wines that were probably 2010ish. I put up about a dozen 750s that year and now make about three per year to keep up the inventory.

To make the tomato vinegar I have to first make a tomato wine. I have a friend who is a winemaker--just closed his winery--I'm going to ask him for guidance. Will let you know!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Wow, wOw and woW !!!! A pity we don't live close to each other..

I've thought that many times!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:56 am

So the tomato paste starts by letting them get moldy on the countertop and then milling them?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Mike, I guess. Doesn't sound safe, though, does it?