Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Not how I'd do it...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Not how I'd do it...

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 am

I received an advertising email for the eatery at a winery. They used this photo of the chef's burger:
impaled burger.jpg

Maybe someone thought this was jaunty or edgy but, um, er, no. I am not enticed by the Van Helsing burger with a steak knife driven through its heart.

What about you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Not how I'd do it...

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:44 am

Well, I guess it's better looking than the average pub burger stabbed with a bamboo skewer, but no not a fan. They may have killed it but you still have to fight it to eat it.!
If you have to deconstruct it and eat it with a knife and fork it isn't a burger. (IMHO)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 am

Personally, I think the knife's clever. However, as a diner, I'm not enticed by the apparent message that if it swallows an entire knife blade then I'm never going to be able to get it in my mouth. It would indeed be a knife-and-fork style burger and I am one of those left coast rubes who feels stupid eating a hamburger that way.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Well......

Is that how customers actually get the burger? How many of those fancy knives would they need? It looks displayed for photography*, I reckon that what is actually served looks quite different.

Personally, if the burger meat is good then I want to enjoy the hamburger without the competing flavour of bacon. Bacon roll yes, BLT yes, hamburger yes, hamburger and bacon no, not for me.

Also the bacon looks uncooked with all that white fat, yuck.

(as for cheese, yuck!)

* there was a website someone on this forum linked to a long while ago that contrasted the food photo with what was served, e.g. a Big Mac photo from the McD website with the actuality and various frozen food packet photo's with what was inside after it had been cooked as per instructions.

later edit: seems there's a lot of similar sites now, e.g.
https://digitalsynopsis.com/advertising ... ls-models/
http://www.thethings.com/15-shocking-ph ... s-reality/
http://uk.businessinsider.com/fast-food ... mos-2017-3
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:07 pm

Peter, it probably is exactly how the customer receives it--perhaps without the lettuce at such an attractively rakish angle, food styling being what it is these days, but the restaurant would likely get howls of disapproval from the carnivores who showed up just for that burger. It's a 'signature' thing, and we're (unfortunately) a country that loves BIG. Our Food Network channel has show after show that caters to males and overeaters in general--there's even a show called Ginormous Food, or something like that. (No, I've never seen it.) No one would tune in to a show called "Just enough" or "Sated".

Bacon is very popular here on burgers--any restaurant that offers variations offers THAT variation. And cheese is standard. But you've spent enough time here, you'd know that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:57 am

Peter, sadly that is probably how it is served. I have had the misfortune to have been served such a thing ( not as pretty) although I think it was probably a steak sandwich and said something about the steak!! I guess the wait staff didn't have to remember to give you a steak knife.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:32 am

Not a fan of bacon and cheese on burgers, Peter? The best burgers always have bacon, and an egg, and cheese, and a ring of pineapple, and a few slices of beetroot on them. ;)

Seriously, though, always deconstruct burgers to eat them. Mainly because I'm not hugely fond of bread and I'm more interested in pulling out the fillings and eating them.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 am

Bacon? You bet.

I do deconstruct as well, a bit. I usually ditch raw onions, eat tomato separately so they don't gunk up the burger and try to avoid pineapple altogether by not ordering it (too many years in Hawaii where Spam and pineapple found its way into everything. Not fan of fried egg on a burger - don't know why as I am a big egg fan, but just don't see it on a burger.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 am

I agree with you, Bill, that the tomato has to come off and be eaten separately. Ditto the lettuce. These are "salad" and should be cold.

As to the rest, well, I can stack up onions and sauteed mushrooms and bacon and maybe one or two other things for an all-together burger.

I recall trying a slice of beet on a burger when I was in Sydney. It was good but didn't make an Honorary Aussie of me. :wink:

One thing I am not fond of, though, is melted cheese on the burger. Seems to mostly add mush without adding flavor.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:37 am

I don't mind cheese but actually prefer it to not be melted all over the place - just slumped down over the patty is OK.

Another ingredient I haven't decided on is avocado. Love avocado but really don't see it in a burger - just makes it smooshie if soft or has other bits sliding off it if hard. Mine goes in the salad
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Love melted cheese. Hate cheddar or a drier cheese that just sits there like a slab of rubber.

Avocado, though: unneccessary. It's fruit but it's a fatty fruit and adding it to a burger is not IMO an enhancement. Meat OR avocado. Not meat AND.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:04 pm

For melted cheese taken to the extreme, check this out.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:27 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:For melted cheese taken to the extreme, check this out.

Nice, in the dripping-off-the-edge-of-a-slice-of-pizza way!

I've read the cheese doesn't really melt, it just sort of loses integrity and runs.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:For melted cheese taken to the extreme, check this out.

Nice, in the dripping-off-the-edge-of-a-slice-of-pizza way!

I've read the cheese doesn't really melt, it just sort of loses integrity and runs.

The Squeeze Inn technique results in what's basically a giant ring of cheddar frico around the burger. It's all right in a wretched excess sort of way, but one of those was enough for my lifetime.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child