Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cedar plank grilling: over it? Or never got started?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cedar plank grilling: over it? Or never got started?

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I don't actually think we ever got deeply into it.

I mean, like, really into it. Over the last 15 years we have probably done it at the most a dozen times, and probably more like eight or nine. I think I've only ever bought planks twice. Liked the result, but most of the time we haven't entertained the option far enough in advance to soak a plank or I've got some other plan. Oh, and there's the part where for two years we haven't had a working barbecue.

All of which seemed fairly stupid on Saturday night, when we cedar plank roasted a piece of incredibly fresh king salmon and it was HEAVENLY. The fish was salt and peppered then basted with a simple wash of maple syrup cut with a bit of lemon juice during the cook. The cedar flavor came through but more mildly than I remember it. And Bob could not have cooked it any better--thanks to having consulted a book first and tweaking his technique and expectations. He didn't try to hurry it. I served it on a bed of linguine tossed with cream, garlic and dill. Divine--we're now anxious to cook more salmon this way before the season's over.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Cedar plank grilling: over it? Or never got started?

by Christina Georgina » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Makes me want to get started !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:46 pm

Never got started. Various local foodie shops sell the slabs but....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:07 am

You really should give it a try! I'm gimmick resistant and I think that's why I put off trying it to start with--it felt like a gimmick. It was certainly on every restaurant menu for awhile, like blackened-anything back in the day and that turns me off too easily. But it's legit. It's undeniably good and produces a result in taste and tenderness that can't be achieved on a grill any other way. It's really worth exploring.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:06 pm

OK, I'm willing to listen. What is the technique?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:53 pm

I've only done it once or twice - we don't do a lot of grilling. The results have been good, though, and I certainly can't say we're over it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:OK, I'm willing to listen. What is the technique?

So, I guess you soak the board in water, lay the fish on top, place the assembly on the grill, and the heat causes cedary steam to infuse the fish from below (while hot air cooks the exposed surface). Is that it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Sorry to take so long to get back to this, had to dig out the book (Techniques for Planking, 25 Essentials). And yes, that's 'essentially' it. The book presumes you have a 3 burner Q in which you can create indirect heat on the outside lanes and place the cedar plank in the middle for the roast. We only have a two-burner, but we soaked the plank for over an hour and had the barbecue on very low. It roasted perfectly in about 20 minutes. Btw, you can put cedar planks in a hot oven, too. About 400 F is recommended.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi Jenise ,I just came across cedar planks whilst on Holiday in our island started, never seen them before. THey are about one cm thick. Can they be reused or are they single use?
Thay also had cedar wraps, Thinking about either of the above, have a few days to make up my mind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:07 am

Barb, they can be reused if there's enough wood left. The bottom of the plank smolders and that creates the smoke that flavors the meat. Re the wraps, I tried them recently--took them with us on a camping trip and wrapped chunks of fish in them for grilling. Looked impressive, but the flavor wasn't really there. Buy the planks.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks Jenise, I'll buy some planks, what the heck, only live once.