Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Spinach and feta stuffed baked onions (IOTM)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Spinach and feta stuffed baked onions (IOTM)

by Jenise » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:39 pm

This is a recipe from our friend Linda Stradley's site, What's Cooking America. Delicious! I followed her recipe closely, though I added a nutmeg as addiitonal seasoning.

2 large sweet or Spanish onions (about 1-1/2 pounds total, peeled)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 clove garlic
One (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese

Place the onions in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the onions are partially tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and cool; cut the onions in half crosswise. Scoop out the center of each onion half, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Reserve the centers. If necessary, cut a small piece from the end of each onion shell so the shells will stand upright.

Prepare a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the onion halves in one layer with non-stick pan spray. Place the onions in the prepared dish, hollowed sides up.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Chop the reserved centers of the onions. Sauté in oil with the garlic in a medium saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach, lemon juice, and pepper; cook until the liquid evaporates. Remove from the heat; stir in the bread crumbs and cheese

Fill the onion shells with the spinach mixture. Cover with foil and bake about 25 minutes. Serve hot.

Makes 4 servings (1 serving = 1/2 onion)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov