Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

NAFST Fancy Food Show or Midday Munchie Madness

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

NAFST Fancy Food Show or Midday Munchie Madness

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:56 pm

Well, there goes my diet.

I was tasked by my employer to walk the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade's Fancy Food Show in San Francisco's Moscone Center. Talk about a nosh fest!! There were well over 1,000 exhibitors and almost every one had something more or less tasty to try. All five senses, the sixth sense, and a few yet unnamed pleasure receptors were scintillated. The domestic stuff was so so with many brands we all know. But, ah, the international side of the hall was really super with exhibitors from over 30 different countries. I met one of the Hengstenberg family and he fed me a pickle. The Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten, was there signing autographs. The throng in front of her kept me at a distance, but I did peek behind the podium ... she was wearing shoes.

Amidst all the goodies, e.g. salmon, salsa, chocolates, nuts, cookies, biscotti, prosciutto di Parma, parmigiano reggiano, Schwarzwälder Schinken, black currant and kumquat jellies, plums from France, etc. and so on, the stand-out was (drum roll, please) the soy-based pot roast from a company called Soy Vay in Felton, CA. I swear the taste and texture were 100% beef. I couldn't believe it. So, if you're one of them vegetarians or vegans who still like the taste of meat, try this stuff.

Howie, the first product I saw was a smoked Black Forest style prosciutto from a German company. We had just discussed that. I wonder when the EU name police are going to bust them?
And now what?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: NAFST Fancy Food Show or Midday Munchie Madness

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:41 pm

Damn, Gary, that's a tough job you have.

Back when my dad owned a coffee house, my folks used to go to those shows. They always had a great time at them but never invited me to tag along. Dammit.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: NAFST Fancy Food Show or Midday Munchie Madness

by John Tomasso » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:45 am

I passed this year but I've gone to this event before.

I always hone in on the cheese vendors, and the booths with pate and sausages.
Then I hit the chocolates.

I've also enjoyed tasting the various olive oils.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"