Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chimichurri

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Chimichurri

by Christina Georgina » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:28 am

Interested in how you are making yours. +/- oregano ? fresh or dried ? proportions parsley/garlic/oil
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Chimichurri

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:52 am

I've got a couple recipes that I use. Over the years they have become a mash up of the ingredients I like best. Yes, oregano. I like to use dried because I believe the flavors in dried ingredients are more intense when used in sauces I am going to keep on hand for a few days/weeks, and they have a longer shelf life than fresh. However, fresh parsley and lots of it and garlic are a must. The garlic gets a little funky after a day or so, but I believe it adds to the complexity of the sauce. One of my recipes calls for paprika. Think I like the flavor of that one best. Will see if I can find both and upload.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks again Jo Ann. I totally agree on the dried oregano vs fresh. Heavy garlic, hot pepper and good red wine vinegar made a very tasty sauce. My only regret is that the new replacement Cuisinart processor blade is so sharp it reduced the herbs to liquid before I realized. I would have preferred more texture. I drank it!
This is not a sauce I would keep long and definitely not freeze. I like to keep a variety of home made sauces in the freezer for quick tricks in a pinch. I just unearthed a Yuzu Kosho I made 2 years ago from the freezer depths and was just amazed at the intense aroma and fresh taste. Same also with a wet Harissa and Schug. These really expand the cooking repetoire
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:08 am

In this, as in all things Argentine or cooked over fire, I always defer to Francis Mallman.

Found his simple but excellent recipe for this on line. Simple, fresh and good.

Rather than pasting it in here, I give you the url as his preface one what others do wrong is instructive.

http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe0610g.htm

“At a Latin- American-themed James Beard Award evening in New York City, I couldn’t believe what some of the chefs had done with it: mango, strawberries, mint! I was so sad, I wanted to crawl inside my oven

He uses fresh herbs, BTW.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:23 am

Bill Spohn wrote:In this, as in all things Argentine or cooked over fire, I always defer to Francis Mallman.... He uses fresh herbs, BTW.

I can't disagree with him on fresh herbs. However, I'll throw in that when I make it, I use white wine vinegar not red. I prefer the pristeen color of the white, where the red gives a sauce that's vaguely browning when combined with the herbs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:37 am

That's a good comment. The taste isn't going to be significantly different and if it looks better....

Have you seen his cook books? Excellent photography and almost as much a travel book as cook book. I have several if you want to look at them.

His episodes of both Chef's Table and Mind of a Chef were pretty enjoyable.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:That's a good comment. The taste isn't going to be significantly different and if it looks better....

Have you seen his cook books? Excellent photography and almost as much a travel book as cook book. I have several if you want to look at them.

His episodes of both Chef's Table and Mind of a Chef were pretty enjoyable.

I saw his episode on Chef's Table, and have seen him in Anthony Bourdain's travels to Argentina. He's one of those wonderful out-there characters the food world is full of.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov