Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Slow-Cooked Duck Legs in Red Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

RCP: Slow-Cooked Duck Legs in Red Wine

by Eden B. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Slow-Cooked Duck Legs in Red Wine
<<Salmis>>

(For Howard)

“According to the old Gascon cooks, the secret of a great salmis is in the reheating over a 3 or 4 day period. Each day the meat is slowly reheated, simmered, cooled, and degreased. The flavors mellow more each time. The flesh turns meltingly tender. Don’t be put off by this small amount of extra work. This recipe is one of the finest renditions of salmis that I have tasted in the Southwest. The flour-based sauce is not to be scoffed at. It holds the wine flavor through all those reheatings and is sensational.” – Paula Wolfert, The Cooking of Southwest France

Serves 4

To achieve best flavor, you must begin this recipe 3 days before serving.

8 whole Muscovy duck legs
3 T Armagnac
5 oz lean ventreche or pancetta
5 large shallots
10 garlic cloves
6 T flour
1 bottle (750 ml) full-bodied red wine (ex – CA Petite Sirah or French Cotes-du-Rhone)
Herb bouquet: 3 sprigs parsley, 1 sprig thyme, and 1 imported bay leaf tied together w/string
Pinch of sugar
S & P

3 days before serving, trim the fat from all of the legs and render it. With a thin-bladed knife, score the fatty skin on the legs without piercing the flesh.

In a large skillet, heat 1 T of the rendered fat over low heat. In batches if necessary, add the legs, skin side down, and cook, turning once, until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Pour off all the fat in the skillet.

Add 2 T Armagnac and carefully ignite with a long match. When the flames subside, transfer the legs to a 3-quart earthernware or enameled cast-iron casserole.

In a food processor, finely chop the ventreche, shallots, and garlic. Add to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, scraping up the bits and pieces clinging to bottom and sides of the pan, until all is lightly browned around the edges.

Sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute, until the mixture masses into a ball. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Gradually add the red wine by cupfuls, stirring to smooth out the flour. This must be done very slowly so that the flour will completely absorb the wine and the sauce will thicken properly. When all the wine has been added and the sauce is smooth, bring to a boil and pour over the duck legs.

Add the herb bouquet, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a sheet of buttered waxed paper and then a lid. Cook over very low heat for 1 hour. The wine should just “shudder.” (This can also be done in a preheated 275F oven.) Uncover and let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight.

The following day, remove all fat from the surface. Let come to room temperature. Cover again and place in a cold oven. Turn the heat on to 275F and cook for 1.5 hours. Let cool, uncovered; cover and refrigerate.

The third day, repeat procedure but cook at 225F for 1.5 hours.

Just before serving, stir in the remaining 1 T Armagnac and check for salt and pepper.

(Suggested to serve with fried cornmeal cakes, “armottes”.)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Slow-Cooked Duck Legs in Red Wine

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:16 am

Wow! I'm not Howard, but that sounds pretty wonderful.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

by Eden B. » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:48 am

Sure hope so! Am doing it for a party the first Sat in Feb, so I'll report back afterwards.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:51 am

Interesting techniques--the flour and the reheating. I'd love to hear what you think about what difference each makes in the final result.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

by Eden B. » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:35 am

OK, the best thing I can say about this recipe is that I wouldn't change a thing! (And I always modify recipes!)

Took longer to brown the pieces than stated, and of course, splattering duck grease is a joy, but other than that, the recipe was super-easy and mostly took care of itself. Making the flour/wine sauce was fun - I used Carmenère as my wine, and it turned it into this gorgeous purple roux that was fun to work with. (BTW, I did 1.5x the recipe.) The reheating over a couple of days certainly involves advance planning, but there is no work involved other than turning on the stove. Fall off the bone tender, lovely flavor - real comfort food. Everyone's plate was spotless. And I thought the accompaniment of fried cornmeal cakes was just right.

I will definitely be making this again; highly recommended!
[/b]
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

1 T?

by Anders Källberg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Nice recipe, Eden!
I might want to try this one day, I just need to find a supplier of duck legs, also to make duck confit.
I just need a clarification: How much is 1 "T"? 1 tablespoon, perchance?
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Re: 1 T?

by Eden B. » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi Anders - Yes, T for me is Tablespoon. As for duck legs, I got a whole mess of 'em cheap (but good) from my local Asian market.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1 T?

by Anders Källberg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll try such places here too.
/A