Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

In Defence of the Poor Misunderstood Anchovy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

In Defence of the Poor Misunderstood Anchovy

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:45 pm

These little guys are often misunderstood. Many people say they are too fishy for them and they'd never eat them. Thy are unaware that anchovies break down completely in cooked foods and add a umami element that even the anchovy haters love if you don't tell them what it is.

A lot of people don't seem to know that they are different from most canned foods which are sterilized by heat. They are preserved by salt or oil that keeps oxygen from them. Had they been pasteurized, they would be like paste in the tin. This is an interesting description from an anchovy manufacturer:

Anchovies are a "semi-preserved" product. This means that they are not sterilized by either cooking or pasteurization. Instead, anchovies are preserved by a salting process whereby salt is used to control bacteria which would otherwise render a canned product unusable.

The anchovies remain in the salt until just before canning. Therefore, suppliers do not pack ahead of order. Our anchovies are not packed until just prior to shipment.

Because they are "semi-preserved", anchovies will eventually break down and become mushy. The cans may even puff. This occurs because there is a non-harmful bacteria that survives in salt. This bacteria can be inconvenient because when it grows it can eventually form a gas which will puff the can. We repeat that this is not harmful to humans, but is most inconvenient.

Heat will hasten the growth of the non-harmful bacteria. Anchovies should always be stored in a cool place, preferably in the refrigerator. Their shelf life when refrigerated is about 18 months. If you do not plan on consuming the anchovies or paste immediately after purchasing, we recommend storing them in the refrigerator. It is important to note that puffed anchovy cans are not indicative of a faulty canning procedure, but rather of improper storage subsequent to canning.

Occasionally, customers complain of a white substance in the can. Often, salt collects around the edges of the fish. This is harmless, as it is only salt.

I thought that might be worth posting as I've seen people wondering why they can't keep anchovy tins on the shelf for years like they would tuna. I've also found that the larger the cans the better the class of anchovy and the better the taste.

We sometimes buy the largest cans and whump up a bunch of anchoiade - here's a recipe:

Persil Anchoiade

100g of anchovies
1 teaspoon or more to taste of capers
2 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of wine vinegar
1 bunch of parsley
black pepper

Buzz it all up in the processor (or a mortar and pestle if you have one). Make it a little looser for a vegetable dip, or thicker to spread on baguette slices.

A favourite use for us is to make a Pissaladiere - a thin pastry, spread with a heavy layer of the anchoiade, topped with another good thick layer of sauteed caramelized onions dotted with pitted shriveled Nicoise olives and criss crossed anchovies.

Haul out a Cotes du Rhone and find summer bliss.

I also do a reverse version of this where Nicoise olives are the main ingredient (you can use canned black olives but it isn't anywhere near as good - even my wife agrees and doesn't grudge the time it takes to pit the olives to do it right). You call it a tapenade when it is olive based and here is the recipe:

Black Olive Tapenade

1 cup pitted Nicoise olives (Kalamata can substitute)
2 1/2 tbsp capers
a couple of large garlic cloves finely chopped or (better) use a garlic press
6-8 anchovy filets
3 tbsp EVOO
(fresh thyme is optional)

Buzz it until smooth in the processor and use to spread on bread. Keeps a couple of weeks in the fridge. Most people don't even know there are anchovies in it but would miss them if they weren't there.

Don't know what got me thinking about this but now I have an irresistible urge to go open some tins!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: In Defence of the Poor Misunderstood Anchovy

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Tins? What are these "tins " you speak of? :)

We buy the large jars of anchovies (glass lid with rubber gasket, metal snaps). But you've got me thinking about pissaladiere now, thanks for inspiration (though I'll probably do Provencal rose)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:05 pm

We use the small flat tins when we only need a few and can't justify making a huge jar of anchoiade. But we keep the larger jars for that sort of use, too.

Pissaladiere goes with white, red or pink wines IMHO!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Regarding whole anchovies, I'm with the J. Geils Band: No Anchovies, Please.

On the other hand, they are often in the ingredients list for Thai fish sauce, which I use a lot of.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Regarding whole anchovies, I'm with the J. Geils Band: No Anchovies, Please.

Are you calling my wife a bowling ball? (You have to read the lyrics of the song to get that) Not sure what they were smoking, but having a band member named Magid Dick gives you a hint. Their biggest hit was Love Stinks.

I have only one album of theirs and it is on vinyl. Can never find it as I have to look under both 'J' and 'G' depending on how the spirit moved me when last playing it.

I shall assume that these aren't on your fave list for nibbles, Paul.

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Learned long ago to never tell'em ! From bagna cauda to puttanesca in addition to the wonderful uses you mention, anchovies are the best. Recently found vacuum packed salted anchovies, Ortiz brand. Very large, high quality beauties. About 6-8 in a pack. Perfect for smaller needs. Have small tins, the vacuum packs and larger glass jarred chovies packed in olive oil always at the ready. A great ingredient
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Learned long ago to never tell'em !

Yup. Had a friend whose significant other was very picky about food - didn't base her likes on what tasted good but on what didn't sound icky.

Was serving ris de veau on evening and she asked me what it was (no doubt getting all set to say "I can't eat that" I responded that it was veal - and got a quizzical look from her boyfriend. She ate it and liked it and probably still doesn't know she had sweetbreads.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:41 am

[q]the larger the cans the better the class of anchovy and the better the taste.[/q]

In a class at the CIA Napa, wherein we made lunch every day for 50-60 people, I got the unenviable job of cleaning a can of salt-packed anchovies. This is a bigger can than you're talking about when you say big can, about 3 lbs. My hands smelled for DAYS. I hated the experience so much my usually facile memory has erased whatever the end use was.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 am

I like the large cans of salt pack as you can usually remove what you want and then put the can back in the fridge, as opposed to opening a small jar or tin and then you have to use it all.

Doing some tapenade for a tasting here today and using the excess anchovies in a Caesar tonight. And then we need to go buy a larger bunch for some anchoiade to make that Pissaladiere to take on a visit. Seems like it is anchovy week here....
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Don't forget boquerones if you are in a tapas bar. There is a huge variety of bottled and canned anchovies found in Spanish shops.