Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Who needs kitchen tweezers? Do you?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Who needs kitchen tweezers? Do you?

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:44 pm

This article from Serious Eats argues that tweezers are essential (as kitchen tools, I mean), and that they are not just for finicky plating. I've never thought about getting any - in fact, I'm as likely to use the two wooden spoons that I have out rather than reaching for tongs.

Jenise responded on FB saying that she does use tweezers, though. How about you?

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/09/equi ... etter.html
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Who needs kitchen tweezers? Do you?

by Barb Downunder » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:39 am

Them thars forceps :!:
I confess I do have some, in the back of the drawer, used very very rarely as I don't do much fiddly presentation. I also have a haemostat in there which is great for gripping and opening pesky plastic vacuum packs and other curious tasks.
Ah the things that find their way into the kitchen. Come to think of it I also have a retort stand with clamp and ring which is good for all sorts of things as well, bought that in the strangest second hand store I have ever been in. In Los Alamos NM it sold old stuff from the labs, you know, electron microscopes and the like!! Sorry, waffling on.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 am

Barb - that sounds like the coolest second hand store I've ever heard of!

We don't have tweezers in the kitchen. Now that you've planted the idea in my head, though, I'll be looking for opportunities to try them out. I have used needlenose pliers and we also have pruning shears that are only for the kitchen.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:03 pm

I keep needle nose pliers on hand too, Mike, for fish bones. Larger offset tweezers for plating delicate items. I have an even larger pair that has migrated to my bathroom where it's sole role in life is to remove hair jams in the drain. I shed. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 am

Don't keep tweezers - just grab chopsticks if I need to do delicate arrangement.

I'm all fixed for asparagus tongs, though. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:49 pm

OK, for pulling bits of shell out of egg white, I can see it. Otherwise, get yourself a cocktail fork / caviar spoon.