Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Beyond Meat soon to be at burger joints near you!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Beyond Meat soon to be at burger joints near you!

by Jenise » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:36 am

From eater.com:

The high-tech, plant-based burger wars are heating up: Beyond Burger, the meatless patty that bleeds beet juice, will soon be on the menu, well, everywhere, VegNews reports. The expansion will be fueled by a partnership with Sysco, which as one of the biggest food service companies in the U.S. supplies thousands of fast-food chains, independent restaurants, hotels, hospitals, and school and office cafeterias — all venues where Beyond Burger could soon be served.

Since rolling out last year at a Whole Foods in Colorado, where it sold out in one hour, Beyond Burger has steadily expanded its footprint, now being sold at grocery chains Safeway and Albertsons. It’s also currently served at Alamo Drafthouse, among dozens of other places — but the Sysco deal will move Beyond Meat’s star product decidedly into the mainstream.

Rival product Impossible Burger (the other “bleeding” veggie burger that counts Bill Gates as an investor) has taken a different approach to expansion, focusing on getting its product into higher-end restaurants such as David Chang’s Momofuku Nishi in NYC, and Traci Des Jardins’ Jardiniere and Chris Cosentino’s Cockscomb, both in SF; the company has stated a goal of having its product in 1,000 restaurants by the end of 2017.

Amazingly popular. I personally can't stand them--the color isn't just a pleasant medium or medium rare, it's the color of raw no matter how long you cook it, and it made me nauseous to look at it before my brain could figure out how to accept it. I think the fact that the flavor was surprisingly meat-like actually made things worse for me--very artificial. It's not meat and shouldn't taste like it--I'd rather eat mashed beans and grains that at least taste of what they are.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Beyond Meat soon to be at burger joints near you!

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 am

Interesting that they're so popular. I don't see any reason to go out of my way to try one.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 am

Tried one, couldn't stand it. And I have liked a lot of vegetarian substitutes. But then I like the taste of vegetables and grains. Beyond Meat tries to look and taste exactly like meat (except that rare meat is rarely even that raw looking), and I can understand that this would work out for people who can't accept the flavor of vegetables and grains as a substitute and aren't squeamish about appearances. Even then I'm frankly amazed at the success of that product such that it's destined to become ubiquitous at fast food joints.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 am

I think a lot of people who have either given up meat or cut back for ethical reasons are very happy to find something that's made from plants but comes close enough to meat to awake happy taste memories without insisting on an exact replica. In my experience, putting fake meats into familiar settings: "burger" on a bun with mustard, mayo, lettuce and tomato and cheese makes the fake burger taste a lot like meat.

Also, just for experiment's sake, if the Beyond burger is a little too weird for you, try Beyond Meat's "Beast Burger" some time. It doesn't look "rare," but it does a better job of matching a grilled burger's color and texture, at least to me.

As for the squeamishness thing, maybe it's just me, but I don't get that at all. Unless one's squeamishness extends to the point of demanding real beef well-done so there's not a hint of pink meat or juice, then I can't imagine why a Beyond Burger would be any more bothersome than a rare meatburger.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:34 am

If they start turning up at a lot of places then I will probably give one a try at some point. Part of the issue is that I rarely eat burgers of any kind at restaurants any more.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think a lot of people who have either given up meat or cut back for ethical reasons are very happy to find something that's made from plants but comes close enough to meat to awake happy taste memories without insisting on an exact replica. In my experience, putting fake meats into familiar settings: "burger" on a bun with mustard, mayo, lettuce and tomato and cheese makes the fake burger taste a lot like meat.

Also, just for experiment's sake, if the Beyond burger is a little too weird for you, try Beyond Meat's "Beast Burger" some time. It doesn't look "rare," but it does a better job of matching a grilled burger's color and texture, at least to me.

As for the squeamishness thing, maybe it's just me, but I don't get that at all. Unless one's squeamishness extends to the point of demanding real beef well-done so there's not a hint of pink meat or juice, then I can't imagine why a Beyond Burger would be any more bothersome than a rare meatburger.

Put me down as someone who's trying to cut back for ethical and health reasons but who sees no need to give up on meat entirely. As such, I'm not looking for fake meat so much as meat alternatives, and I would insist there's a difference. And that's probably what wierded me out in the Beyond Meat patty--it looked raw, no matter how long I cooked it the color didn't change. I don't like raw beef, and I don't even like my steaks as rare as I used to--blue was never an option. I'd be absolutely unable to eat real meat the same vibrant raw-bloody red color as the Beyond Meat (from your description, I'm not sure what I bought was the beast burger, though I did buy the two-patty package). The aroma of it cooking was convincing, I'll give you that, but if I'm supposed to be able to pretend it's real beef then it needs to look more like the real beef I'd prefer. Not well done, medium's fine. But not blood-drenched raw red.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 pm

I was suprised to find a few months ago that the Impossible Burger is available in patties at most Northern California Safeway stores. I tried it side-by-side with Trader Joe's organic ground beef (US, Australia, and Uruguay sources) and really found it lacking. It does not taste or chew like beef, even for this person who craves medium rare burgers and likes his steak blue or rare. It has a funny smell, to boot. I share Jenise's impression that it is basically colored medium rare to begin with. The price is very high, too: $12/lb. ($26/kg), which is more than I've ever paid for hamburger, even high-end pastured stuff. I remain hopeful, though.

Good, if overly credulous article in Wired: https://www.wired.com/story/the-impossible-burger/
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:33 am

Sounds horrid.

Why do people have to dummy up veg to look like fake meat? I'd much rather eat 'honest' veg than faked meat.

Just got back from my annual wine buying trip with a car full of fresh vegetables - will not be faking anything!
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:22 pm

I go back and forth. The environmental and health effects of meat are pretty clear, but it just tastes so good! Generally I prefer a black bean patty to an ersatz hamburger, and the Trader Joe's soy corn dogs are indistinguishable from the real thing, but there are lots of lousy meat "alternatives" out there.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Sounds horrid.

Just got back from my annual wine buying trip with a car full of fresh vegetables - will not be faking anything!

Good for you! The OK Valley is Eden--it killed me to go into all those great little stands down on the Smilkaneen and not be able to buy because I couldn't take them over the border.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 pm

wnissen wrote:I go back and forth. The environmental and health effects of meat are pretty clear, but it just tastes so good!

That's my problem. Easiest way to cut back on meat is to simply not eat it at all. Yesterday's brunch meal was a bowl of deliberately overcooked summer squashes. I certainly get, and sympathize, with Robin's situation and the different kind of hunger that total abstinence brings about, but I'm okay with the path we're taking--so far.