Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A foodie movie it wasn't

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

A foodie movie it wasn't

by Jenise » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

Dinner With Beatriz, starring Salma Hayek and John Lithgow.

For some reason I got fooled into thinking this would be Bunuelian. No. It should have been titled "Dinner with PETA".

Beatriz is a 'healer'. A Mexican immigrant whose legal status is deliberately vague, she's a healer by virtue of nothing but on-the-job massage training and a serious love of animals who lives in Santa Monica and travels south to Newport Beach to give a massage at the fabulous home of a fabulously wealthy client. (Ludicrously, her journey is represented by a segment of freeway travel showing her whirring past the Chesebro offramp of the 101 which is up around Calabassas, about 30 miles in the wrong direction north of where she starts out. To get to NB from SM, one does not take the 101, any portion of it! With all the freeway footage they could have made or gotten their hands on, this mistake is ridiculous and puts one on the offense to be hypercritical of everything that comes after. And I was.)

Post-massage, her car won't start so she ends up staying for dinner and being rude and accusatory to the mega wealthy big-game-hunting industrial developer (Lithgow) who is one of that evening's guests and there to celebrate a new deal in which everyone else present was also involved. She's so pure and they're all so predictably clueless about the negative effects of their presence on the planet. YAWN.

The only part that involved food was when the server arrives in the dining room to take main course orders, which achieves nothing but to give the writers a chance to trot out another cliche. The choice was filet mignon or halibut. Beatriz, a vegetarian, declines meat, the evil deal-makers went for the beef, and the evil-by-association types went halibut.

Another note about locations: this was written by Mike White, who in fact did write the hilarious movie "Orange County"--so of course the baddies have to live in Orange County and the heroine has to come from the more-enlightened Los Angeles County.

Anyway: AVOID!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: A foodie movie it wasn't

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Jenise wrote:She's so pure and they're all so predictably clueless about the negative effects of their presence on the planet. .

Sounds like a Jill Stein voter.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Jenise wrote:She's so pure and they're all so predictably clueless about the negative effects of their presence on the planet. .

Sounds like a Jill Stein voter.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Good one, David. :)

Thing is, for the most part I'm actually more sympathetic to Beatriz's POV than Lithgow's character's. But she's no Michael Pollan. She doesn't have reason, logic or facts at hand--it's all emotion. In the beginning you see, hanging inside her rotten little car, a buddha and a Virgin Mary hanging from the rear view mirror. She doesn't really know what she believes in. And neither does this film.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov