Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Myhrvold's new book on bread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Myhrvold's new book on bread

by Greg H » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:38 am

Myhrvold has recently published a new book set on bread. Like his Modernist Cuisine publication, it is five volumes and is priced similarly. Too expensive for me. Hopefully he will come out with a more home friendly version as he did for Modernist Cuinsine. Link to an article about this book in the New York Times is below.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/dining/modernist-bread-book.html?ref=dining&_r=0
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Myhrvold's new book on bread

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Whoa, I sort of want it, but yeah, the price. On the other hand, I have a couple of Peter Reinhart's affordable and excellent bread books here, and Bernard Clayton's and Joe Ortiz's favorites, so between them and Teh Google, I'm probably good to go. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Myhrvold's new book on bread

by Jenise » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:17 pm

I read about that. I actually do have Nathan's Modernist Cuisine. Bob gave it to me for Christmas last year--I had asked for the single-volumn at-home version, but Bob went all out on the big kaboodle instead. I've hardly cracked the surface of it. I don't and won't own the chemical set required to do many of the steps--oh, and each volumn weighs about 10 lbs. It's not bedtime reading. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov