Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rutabagas? Love or hate?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Rutabagas? Love or hate?

by Jenise » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Here's my experience: My mother didn't cook with rutabagas. My first encounter was as an adult in my 20's, and I recall not being impressed. Many years later I was invited to dinner at the home of a sweet but unimaginative English cook, and had some pretty flavorless boiled and mashed rutabaga. Awful. Then just a few years ago I had lunch at The London Plane in Seattle, a wonderfully sophisticated-earthy restaurant and sister of the more famous Sitka and Spruce: neither's vegetarian, but the emphasis is more on on vegetables than meat. One of the dishes I ordered was rutabaga, unpeeled, sliced in crescents and roasted with tomatoes, which I loved. In the three years since, spurred by that experience I actually bought a rutabaga which rotted in my fridge before I used it. Thinking ahead to cooling fall temps, last week I bought another.

Returning from a shopping day in Seattle yesterday with a bottle of Donnhoff dry reisling and a pair of organic pork chops, it occurred to me that roasted rutabaga might be the perfect sidekick for those chops, simply grilled, and a light sauce--more of a douse, really--of a 1:1 blend of maple syrup and good sherry vinegar. Going in, I knew that this simple vinaigrette is one of the best things that can happen to a pork chop, but on those sweet and earthy chunks of diced rutabaga? The threesome was pure magic. Garnished with a few sugar snap peas? The perfect meal for a warm sunny Autumn day.

I also discovered that I like it raw.

A quick glance online revealed a few interesting things: rutabagas aren't an original product of nature, they were created in the late 1800's by crossing turnips with cabbage, which sounds a bit like breeding a shitzhu to a octopus to my naive ear, but okay. And they're rich in anti-oxidants.

Do you like them? If so, how do you prepare them?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Rutabagas? Love or hate?

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Rutabaga, turnip, kohlrabi... bleh.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:13 am

I like to make a rutabaga and roasted yam mash. Lots of butter, a light grate of nutmeg and a bit of heavy cream, salt and pepper. Great with roast pork shoulder and sautéed greens.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:44 am

I'd only ever seen the word rutabaga in the ingredient list of (the wonderful) Branston Pickle and in my youth wondered what this exotic thing was.

I looked it up some time ago and assumed that Branston used rutabaga to disguise its plainness, but maybe that was unfair and they did it because rutabaga is very confusingly known as swede in southern England and turnip in northern England, Scotland (thus neeps) and Ireland, whereas southern England's turnip is known as swede in northern England, Scotland and Ireland.

Thus it's jolly confusing, especially as I'm from the south and Jo's from the north, my swede is her turnip and vice versa. I recall swede (i.e. rutabaga) has yellow flesh and it was served to me when young as a mash, and I've harboured a disdain for it ever since. Turnip we hollowed out in October and lit candles in as halloween lanterns; maybe my mother used the turnip innards in stews or meat pies, I don't know and didn't ask.

But I've bought some in recent years to dice and use to bulk out vegetable curries, and sometime used the rest roasted with the Sunday roast.

Do I look on swedes in the supermarket vegetable section and thing 'yummy'? Nope.

Turnip/sweed/rutabaga liguistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip_(terminology)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I like to make a rutabaga and roasted yam mash. Lots of butter, a light grate of nutmeg and a bit of heavy cream, salt and pepper. Great with roast pork shoulder and sautéed greens.

I'm going to try that, thank you!! The yam would give better texture and body while the rutabaga brings sharper flavors--not unlike the combination of celery root and russet potato.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:36 am

I've used them on occasion, but not for years. I recall mostly using them in a puree with butter and cream, yum.

Lately I've been roasting veggies a lot - during the cooler months, anyway - and now I'm going to do this one, if it ever cools off here, maybe December. Thanks, global warming.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-roasted ... chn-215695
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm in the love category. Makes a great gratin with any type of potato or dense squash. Plus/minus onions/shallots, cheese [Gruyere, blue or parm ] cream. Also as a tart tatain. The Inn at Little Washington features an apple rutabaga soup although I am not fond of emphasizing the sweet of this veg- perhaps why the meh. I much prefer a savory combo. Thyme works well and lemon juice over matchsticks in a salad. ? with celeraic, just thinking on this one....
Gotta run and get me some
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I've used them on occasion, but not for years.

Considering the fact that you've become a vegetarian, I would think you'd be exploring any and all things produce. A mash like you discuss would be fabulous topped with wilted spinach or other greens.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Duh .....not tart tatin ! I meant in the style of Pommes Anna.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:17 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Duh .....not tart tatin ! I meant in the style of Pommes Anna.

Glad you clarified that. Have to admit, I stared at your initial response and went "uh, really?"
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Rutabaga, turnip, kohlrabi... bleh.

Agreed.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Rutabaga, turnip, kohlrabi... bleh.

Agreed.

I'll third that. At best, I see them as adding something extra to a potato gratin or mash, but I love potatoes so much that I'd rather just leave the interlopers out.

I have to say, though, that I've never had them raw. That might be a better application for my taste but I'm not really sure either way.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child