Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Score! Score!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Score! Score!

by Jenise » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:29 pm

While visiting the next county down to get our wine cellar air conditioner fixed by a refrigeration-whisperer at his little shop way out in the countryside, we had a few hours to kill so stopped in some thrift stores. And look what I found!!! It's Armetale-type pewter or super-thick stainless steel, made by Lenox and quite large, about 18 inches across. Designed for the Sunday "gravy" meal for large Italian families, I'm thinking.

Just $7!!!!!!

I'm not Italian nor do I habitually serve pasta to crowds, but I would now consider it with a bowl like this for presentation!

PastaLenox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Score! Score!

by Jenise » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Btw, was searching around to get a feel for the original pricing on this. It came as part of a set which included shakers for parm and red pepper flakes and a spaghetti scoop/server. Replacements.com does not have the bowl, but they have the scoop/server for which they only want, get this, $59. And I found a smaller salad bowl from the same line for $149.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Yep - now you are required to have people over for a big ol' pasta dinner.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Nice find.
What Mike said!!
AND now you will have to scour the thrift shops for the other bits!!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:28 am

I like bucatini. Just saying.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm drooling here! I used to scour antique shops once a month for about 10 years. It is how I've gotten some of the finer pieces of my formal table setting, most of which I used for my GROWN ASS WOMANbrunch a couple months ago. Doesn't your heart leap when you find something special and unique like this? Congrats.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Jo Ann, it does. My heart actually races a little, it's visceral. And I say that while admitting that I don't do much of this kind of thing--I don't like 'stuff', and I don't have an eye for the kind of gems friends of mine live to find. My treasure hunting jones is mostly spent on wine. But I'm shopping for Christmas china for my wine club's Christmas dinner, and therein lies an outlet. And occasionally I find something like this. Coincidentally in another store I found Marcella Hazan's first book, which I'd never read (I own a few later ones), so I bought that too. OH OH OH, and it had a pink tag so it was an extra 30% off. Thrills galore!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I like bucatini. Just saying.

I'll keep that in mind. :)