Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Any bread bakers on the forum?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Any bread bakers on the forum?

by Greg H » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:51 pm

I am planning on moving beyond high hydration Dutch oven loaves and would welcome book recs. I have Tartine and Bien Cuit.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Any bread bakers on the forum?

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Greg, after cutting my teeth on Bernard Clayton's bread books and Joe Ortiz' The Village Baker, I've become a big fan of Peter Reinhart's books, The Bread Bakers' Apprentice and Artisan Breads Every Day. I'd certainly recommend those two, although from your post, you may be looking for something more advanced?
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks. I will check them out. I bought ovens with steam injection capabilities which should allow me to develop to develop a good crust.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 am

Unless technique-wise there's something about Tartine's recipes that don't agree with you, as someone who has merely eaten their baked goods I don't know how you can improve on that. Otherwise, for not just recipes but discussion of technique, I agree with Robin on Peter Reinhardt's books.

But hey, you bought ovens with steam injection? Very impressive. Did you do a kitchen remodel or move into a new build where where you were able to specify the kitchen of your dreams?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 am

New construction.

The Tartine breads look great, but they have been adapted to high moisture dutch oven cooking for most of the loaves. No need for a steam oven. I am not sure how to adapt the recipes to work in my kitchen.

I probably need to go back to older bread baking recipes, pre-no knead.