Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So today I went to Costco, and I found:

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So today I went to Costco, and I found:

by Jenise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Whole Prime grade NY strip loins, about 16 pounds each, $9.99/lb plus a $25 rebate on each at checkout. There were five left.

I bought four. Christmas dinner here I come.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: So today I went to Costco, and I found:

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 pm

:shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm cooking for 90.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:03 am

Oh, I was enjoying the image of a Christmas dinner table set with 60 lbs of prime steak.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:52 am

I was also eyeballing something for Christmas dinner that I had never seen (except on TV). I went into my local meat market and saw a 7 bone cut of tomahawk steaks. The bones were about a foot long. $12.99/lb. Not sure how I would cook this.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:55 am

Deal !!!! And now, waiting for how you will prepare them....
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I was also eyeballing something for Christmas dinner that I had never seen (except on TV). I went into my local meat market and saw a 7 bone cut of tomahawk steaks. The bones were about a foot long. $12.99/lb. Not sure how I would cook this.

Tomahawks are cool! It's a rib eye with the whole rib bone attached, so just grill it like you would any steak. You and Mary Jo might have to share one, though, they're usually quick thick, too!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Deal !!!! And now, waiting for how you will prepare them....

That has yet to be determined. More immediate problem: finding someone with freezer space to stash them in!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 am

Jenise wrote:
Christina Georgina wrote:Deal !!!! And now, waiting for how you will prepare them....

That has yet to be determined. More immediate problem: finding someone with freezer space to stash them in!

That would be our problem. Sounds like a great deal, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:56 am

Howie Hart wrote:I was also eyeballing something for Christmas dinner that I had never seen (except on TV). I went into my local meat market and saw a 7 bone cut of tomahawk steaks. The bones were about a foot long. $12.99/lb. Not sure how I would cook this.

I saw a tomahawk steak recently, not a common cut here. One scared the £]€}8€]out of me, a 7 bone wow, invite the army!
Jenise wrote:

You know you live in the country, when at the checkout this morning, domestic chat with the cashier who casually said, I have a cow hanging so I’m reducing stuff in the freezer. :shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 am

LOL, Barb. Reminds me somewhat of life in Alaska. I was standing in line at an auto parts store and the guy in front of me, to make idle conversation, said, "Last day to bag a moose, eh?" Like everyone did it.

Not me!!!!
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:52 pm

I've gotten some pretty great stuff at Costco lately as well. The Bob's Red Mill Quick Cook Steel Cut Organic oatmeal is easily the best I've tasted, and it cooks much faster than the Irish stuff at a quarter the price. They have started to stock High West Double Rye for $30, which is an outstanding high-proof rye for not much more than you'd pay for middle of the road. But the one that has literally changed my life is the Nespresso-compatible espresso capsules for $.22 apiece. They come in four styles, from medium to "French" roast but none is burnt. They are plastic instead of metal, so they won't last as long as the first-party capsules (I keep the bulk of mine in the freezer), but they are a third the price. What was something of a splurge has now become highly affordable.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Well THAT's cool, Walt. They do indeed get some good deals and neat stuff, though my neighborhood isn't typically a target for "neat stuff" of the type I see when shopping with friends in wealthy Westlake Village, CA. The only new thing of late is poke. I literally never buy premade food but I'm absolutely in love with their Wasabi poke, it's made fresh in-store. If I'm there in the morning, that's lunch.