Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anchioade and Pissaladiere

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Anchioade and Pissaladiere

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:25 pm

An easy preparation of anchovies is anchioade – common in the South of France.

I do mine in a large solid granite mortar and pestle from Thailand – see
https://importfood.com/products/thai-cookware/item/mortar-and-pestle-solid-thai-granite

It has about a 3 cup capacity and weighs 15 lbs. I applied some felt feet to protect our granite counters and it is pretty easy to slide around, although I get the job of cleaning it later (usually just a good wipe with a paper towel).

This recipe is for what you can make with a small tin of anchovies – you can make larger portions as needed.

Open and drain a couple of 50 g. flat tins of oil packed anchovies and put them in the mortar (can also be done in a cuisinart), Add a teaspoon or a bit more of capers, 2 or 3 garlic cloves, peeled (depends on size of the garlic cloves as well as the taste of the cook), a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and grind it all up, adding up to 4 tbsp. of olive oil as it smooths out. Add a few good grinds of black pepper.

If you make it a little on the looser side (more olive oil) you can use ot as a dip for vegetables. If you add less, you can use it as a spread for bruschetta and for one of my favourite dishes – recipe follows.

Pissaladiere

A dish from the South of France.

Make a dough or use premade pizza dough and roll it out to fit a rectangular pan, turning up and crimping the edges..

Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a heavy (pref. cast iron) skillet on medium low heat, add 2 ½ lbs. of onions, (around 8 cups) sliced up, about 3 or 4 garlic cloves (I use a press but you can finely chop them) a bay leaf and at least a teaspoon of fresh chopped thyme and cook covered for 45 min, then uncover and cook until the liquid is pretty much gone (should be golden, not brown or black!).

Spread a thin layer of anchoiade over the crust, add the cooked onions and dot with capers, halves of pitted Nicoise olives and more anchovy filets (1 tin should do it – you can do fancy crisscross or whatever you like).

Bake at 425 for 30 min and then cool at least a bit before serving (cold is fine too) . Perfect with a Rhone of Provencal red. You can omit the layer of anchoiade on the bottom if you are in a hurry, but it is worth taking time to include it.

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Re: Anchioade and Pissaladiere

by Greg H » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Looks great! Wine with it?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Anything from Provence, Rhone, or most of Italy will work well with it. Or Cahors, or Madiran, or California, or.......
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 am

Looks great