Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sloes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Sloes

by Peter May » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:56 am

Sloes-Oct-2017.png

Last month on a country walk I saw a tree laden with the plumpest most irridiscent blue sloes I can recall seeing, but I had no need of them.

Then this week a friend told me he'd not seen any sloes this year so I took him to that hedgerow. The easy ones had been picked and the remaining ones had lost a lot of their bloom, some were black, some wrinkled, but there were still too many to pick and we stopped when we'd got 4 pounds.

He was pleased because they are very ripe now, soft, came off the branches easily. He's now filled bottles with 4.5 litres of maturing sloe gin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Sloes

by Jenise » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Somewhere in the recesses of my brain is knowledge of the term "slow-gin", usually with the word 'fizz' attached, which I equate with being red (but might not be). But I've never had one nor did I know that there was actually a fruit called a sloe--so this is informative, and the picture appreciated. So you just pour gin over them, hide and wait?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 pm

A sloe is a relative of a plum. It is tiny and nasty to eat out of hand. But prick it, place in gin with a little sugar and wait three months....
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:00 am

Hi Jenise

Yup, it's called Sloe Gin because its made with sloes. They are the fruit of a very thorny very bushy small tree that grows abundantly in hedgerows, probably because they were ideal for making animal-proof hedges in the old days.

As Jeff says, you prick the sloes to burst the skin, place in a container, add sugar and cover with gin. Shake it every day for a week and leave for three months.

It makes a deep red liqueur type drink.

I found this article on how to make sloe gin on the Guardian website
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:32 pm

So very similar to other 'attic liqueurs' involving clear hooch and fruit just gin and that unusual fruit in this case.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that the sloe gin that goes into most sloe gin fizzes has never seen a sloe. Its a nasty, overly sweet liqueur that's mostly consumed by teenagers. I remember it from my own teenage years, actually, although I preferred cherry brandy when it came to nasty overly sweet liqueurs. I seem to remember that someone's either producing or importing good sloe gin, but I've not tried it if that's the case, and I would be surprised of there's anything out there significantly better than a good homemade version.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child