Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Turnips catch 'Cacio de Pepe' fever

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Turnips catch 'Cacio de Pepe' fever

by Jenise » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 pm

So says an article in Plate Magazine referring to an Israeli restaurant in Nashville, of all places. I'm greatly intrigued by this description:

"You expect a certain amount of mezze options at an Israeli restaurant, and Nashville’s Butcher & Bee does not disappoint, with a dozen offerings, from grilled radishes with green tahini to whipped feta with fermented honey. But it was the turnip cacio e pepe that caught my eye, because… sure, why not? I believe everything should have the opportunity to get the cacio e pepe treatment, and thankfully, Butcher & Bee Chef Bryan Lee Weaver agrees. The thinly shaved turnips welcome their bath in butter, cheese and pepper, making this a fun, tasty way to kick off a meal."

So who cooks turnips?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Turnips catch 'Cacio de Pepe' fever

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Neeps? Never.

But, the other day, I did see a menu offering a starter nibbles plate named "Cacio e Popcorn".
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Neeps? Never.

But, the other day, I did see a menu offering a starter nibbles plate named "Cacio e Popcorn".

ARGH!

I cook turnips two ways. The small Japanese white ones get gently cooked and finished in butter, and once or twice I've also lightly cooked same in sangiovese to create an en pointe garnish for an Italian terrine.

But I've never gone outside that bracket, except to eat them raw. Like rutabegas (which are delish raw, btw), it's a relatively untapped part of the vegetable kingdom for me, probably in large part because they're not green.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:44 pm

I love steamed turnips. Traditionally I place them atop greens (mustard, turnips, collards) and serve them together. I also like them in Japanese quick pickles I make with corned beef or other roasted meats. A Winter meal is just not a good winter meal without the presence of turnip or parsnip sometime during the season.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:24 pm

I'll have to try that, Jo Ann. I would love them steamed AND with greens. What a healthy, low carb dish that would make too--I need to lose weight and that's exactly the kind of food I should be eating.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Jenise wrote:I'll have to try that, Jo Ann. I would love them steamed AND with greens. What a healthy, low carb dish that would make too--I need to lose weight and that's exactly the kind of food I should be eating.

Add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes and a splash of vinegar to that. Yum! I need to lose weight right now too. I’ve been gobbling roasted cauliflower or broccoli like crazy. Both really tasty. Good luck with that.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks. Good luck to you, too.

I lost 8 pounds before we left for L.A., gained five of that back while away, and have lost three of that since getting home Wednesday night. Lots more to go, but getting my brain in gear to say no, cook leaner and push away from the table sooner than later is truly the hardest part, and I'm about there.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Good to you. I’m far from it. Need to drop about 15, hopefully in the next 3 months. I’m roasting turkey breasts and upping the greens. Drinking seltzer water instead of a Coke a day. And cutting out alcohol. That last is the hardest. I love a gin and tonic or rum and coke at night while I’m watching tv or playing Sudoku. SIGH!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Yeah, the alcohol is tough for me, too. Wine has a tendency to flow whenever I'm around, and I practically have to check out of the world at large in order to avoid it. The three weeks in which I lost eight pounds was alchohol free, and though I did miss wine with certain foods it was actually nice going without. I had more energy, I realized, than I do when we drink more frequently.

I also have to avoid eating too much meat to make up for the carbs that aren't on my plate. Breakfast is the toughest meal.