Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RC: Ricotta Gnocchi with Roasted Tomato

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RC: Ricotta Gnocchi with Roasted Tomato

by Ted Richards » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:08 am

GIven Jenise's post on ricotta gnocchi, here's the recipe I use. I've never had the patience to make beautiful quenelle-shaped gnocchi. Mine tend to stick to the spoon and come out rather misshapen. They're very tasty though. They also go well with Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce. This is based on a recipe from Gourmet Magazine, September 2000.

Ricotta Gnocchi with Roasted Tomato

Makes 3-4 servings

2 lb plum tomatoes, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 large eggs
15 oz container ricotta
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water

Roast tomatoes
Preheat oven to 400°F. Put tomatoes, cut sides up, in 1 layer in a 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Dot with 2 Tbsp butter and season well with salt and pepper. Roast in middle of oven until skins are wrinkled and beginning to brown, about 45 minutes. Cool in baking dish. This can be done one day ahead.

Make gnocchi while tomatoes are roasting
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Beat together eggs and ricotta in a large bowl with an electric mixer until blended. Stir in flour, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper until combined. (Batter will be soft.)

Use 2 teaspoons (flatware, not measuring spoons) to form gnocchi: Scoop up a rounded teaspoon of batter, then use second spoon to scoop mixture off spoon and into boiling water. Make 9 more gnocchi.

Simmer briskly until gnocchi are just firm in center and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a platter and cool, covered with damp paper towel. Continue making gnocchi in batches of 10.

Make sauce and sauté gnocchi
When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and seed them over roasting pan. Slice tomato flesh lengthwise 1/4 inch thick and put in a medium saucepan. Scrape skins, seeds, and any juices from roasting pan into a fine sieve set over saucepan with tomatoes and press on solids in sieve to extract juices. Discard skins and seeds.

Stir 1/4 cup water into tomatoes and bring to a low simmer over low heat. While tomatoes are coming to a simmer, melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, then cook gnocchi, turning gently, until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes.

Season gnocchi with salt and pepper and serve with warm tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RC: Ricotta Gnocchi with Roasted Tomato

by Jenise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Damn, I forgot to buy ricotta today. Definitely had it on my to-do list for the weekend. I appreciate this recipe. I need a baseline to start with, and I know the recipe I did use once long ago didn't work.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov