Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Caviar and Chips

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Caviar and Chips

by Bill Spohn » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:51 pm

So you get some creme fraiche to spoon onto a nice potato chip and then top with a small spoonful of caviar (at whatever price level suits you).

My question is....which potato chips go best with this?

Options that would work include
natural unflavoured
onion and sour cream
salt and pepper.

Doubt anything with smoky BBQ flavours would work, nor ketchup, nor several other odd combos like the ones here: https://www.boredpanda.com/unusual-pota ... s-flavors/

Here is a recipe for home made Duck Fat Gaufrettes with Caviar http://www.dartagnan.com/duck-fat-potat ... ecipe.html

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Caviar and Chips

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm

The sour cream and onion chips tend to be a little too strongly flavored for me, but the plain and the salt and pepper ones sound good.

Whiskey and Haggis is right out.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Plain salt, Ruffles brand.

Flavored potato chips are for sissies. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Sure, but they are suitable for fake caviar....

http://store.molecularrecipes.com/caviar-maker/

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:31 pm

PS - do you think potato chips are better for this than other veg chips like yam, zucchini, squash, carrot etc.?

One thing I think we can agree on - high salt chips are contraindicated given the usually high saline content of caviar.

PPS - the video on the page I cited above is worth looking at - it shows you how to make caviars.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I don't see other vegetable chips in our marketplace, but maybe because I'm not looking for them. I can't see a carrot chip working for instance, due to shape, unless they were from chopped/pressed/formed carrot matter, then fried. If shape weren't an issue, carrot's sweetness might add a good element here. The potato chip would seem best though, even with the salt--as long as one had the salt tolerance. The sour cream would temper the effect.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Always plan on home made potato chips in caviar season. Slightly thicker and more sturdy for loading without crumbling and fun to play around with different salts to season the chips. We use a very low percentage of salt to cure the eggs- malossol - preserving the pop and full flavor of the eggs. You can get away with a more salty base with malossol eggs. I especially think chips seasoned with a Meyer lemon salt works very well.
Another favorite base for caviar is a local English Muffin Bread, thinly sliced, lightly toasted and buttered. It is a very dense crumb, not full of nooks and crannies, subtly sweet loaf that matches perfectly.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks - two very interesting suggestions!