Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Individual potato gratins baked in muffin tins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: RCP: Individual potato gratins baked in muffin tins

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:24 pm

thanks for the heads up, Jenise. I was going to stack mine to the top, but I would not have cranked up the heat on my first try. But, will follow your direction. Will let you know how it all turns out.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Okay. I made these. The looked pretty and they tasted good. But, it was a lot more effort than what the final product was worth. I probably wouldn't think so if the potatoes were the exact size to fit well into the tins. But, they required trimming in most cases and after sitting in water for a couple hours, some of the potatoes curled a bit, making the tin fit a little more problematic. But, I'm not a potato lover. Would prefer rice any day. Everyone really liked them, but these little disks did not make anyone swoon. Would not make again.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Fair enough. When you told me they were sliced and soaking in water, I have to admit I was a little concerned about absorption--not curling, that's a new wrinkle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 am

Jenise wrote:Holy Godiva, Batman, we're less than two weeks away, and we find out that this aspiring chocolatier has no idea what she's doing? And she sends samples that are wrong, and inconsistent of decoration???? That didn't embarrass her? I cannot trust someone who would do that.

Sounds like you were a 'conch'-ientious objector... (rather obscure pun regarding the manufacture of the chocolate and how you get the granularity out of it).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:01 pm

The good news, Bill, is that the replacement I arranged for--Belgian chocolate tortes--were to die for. Even I who could care less desserts in general and chocolate in particular, thought the tortes were amazing. Brilliantly, they weren't very sweet at all, much much less than normal in commercial baking. It all worked out for the best!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:33 pm

The menu sure is different than if you had a small dinner at home, isn't it. Accent on do ahead and being able to accomplish it using less than expert help. The torte sounds perfect for that.

You know me - closest I get to a dessert is chocolate in a mole sauce!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:The menu sure is different than if you had a small dinner at home, isn't it. Accent on do ahead and being able to accomplish it using less than expert help. The torte sounds perfect for that.

You know me - closest I get to a dessert is chocolate in a mole sauce!

That's true. VERY different. And there are other logistics: in the Clubhouse, I'm dealing with one silly house type fridge, one cheap-ass range and two wall ovens. Our ability to cook on site or hold warm things is very very limited. The only gift is that at this time of year, Mother Nature keeps cold stuff cold, including wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Oh, but even then...the potatoes. I had one cook for all 8 dozen needed who suddenly decided that she couldn't possibly make 8 dozen, so I got another volunteer to take half of those off her hands. I bought all the ingredients, made a kit for each, and delivered them, to remove every variable but for the cook herself. What I never anticipated is that one would read the recipe so much differently than the other--she read the recipe as the first 25 minutes being a full bake and the final ten being just a re-heat. So hers only cooked for 25 minutes--which is underdone, I got one of hers, and unrecoverable once they cool off--and brought the rest to the Clubhouse for ME to finish! Never mind that I cooked all that beef, made 12 dozen lobster-stuffed crepe appetizers, and had my hands full supervising all the plating.
Previous