Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mario Batali's own words re allegations

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Mario Batali's own words re allegations

by Jenise » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 pm

From Eater.com:

Batali did not deny all the allegations, saying that they “match up” with ways he has behaved.

“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.

“I have work to do to try to regain the trust of those I have hurt and disappointed. For this reason, I am going to step away from day-to-day operations of my businesses. We built these restaurants so that our guests could have fun and indulge, but I took that too far in my own behavior. I won’t make that mistake again. I want any place I am associated with to feel comfortable and safe for the people who work or dine there.

"I know my actions have disappointed many people. The successes I have enjoyed are owned by everyone on my team. The failures are mine alone. To the people who have been at my side during this time — my family, my partners, my employees, my friends, my fans — I am grateful for your support and hopeful that I can regain your respect and trust. I will spend the next period of time trying to do that.”

Batali remains an owner of his individual restaurants, according to the B&B spokesperson. In a statement to Eater, B&B said that while the company has had sexual harassment training and policies for more than 10 years, it will now also enlist an independent, outside corporate investigations firm for any staffers wishing to make claims against owners of the restaurants.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

Re: Mario Batali's own words re allegations

by Ken Schechet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:49 am

Batali has also been sued multiple times by his employees for stealing their tips. There is a case currently in litigation. I don't understand what makes someone who has so much seem to need more and more from everyone they have power over. I really liked his restaurants but stopped going to them a while ago.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 am

Well, at least he didn't attack the victims. I'll keep making his recipes but it would be difficult to get myself to go to one of his restaurants now.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:02 pm

I feel the same way. I understand John Besh was featured in the current new season of Top Chef and they edited him out.

I keep wondering what these guys are saying to their wives and kids about this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm

And then there was the "Note from Mario" apology newsletter that also includes a link for breakfast rolls. *smh* :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 pm

OMG, that's real? Talk about tone deaf.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Wow. Disgraced and apologetic but still fishing for clicks.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Jenise wrote:OMG, that's real? Talk about tone deaf.
Real indeed. That was a screen shot from the email blast I got from mariobatali.com