Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New icecream that I don't think I'll like much

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

New icecream that I don't think I'll like much

by Matilda L » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle ... f945bfcd7e

Here's the latest cool sensation for summer: vegemite icecream on a stick. I like a bit of vegemite on toast from time to time - especially topped with sliced avocado - but I doubt that I'm going to like vegemite ice cream.

They tried vegemite chocolate bars a few years ago. I didn't like that much, either.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: New icecream that I don't think I'll like much

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 am

That does sounds dubious, Matilda.

Although, I have had fernet ice cream and it was interesting: minty and herby and bitter (and cold and creamy). Not for often but it was exotic and OK.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 am

Ouch. Does not sound promising to me. But I'm not a vegemite fan.

I guess people want any flavor in ice cream form.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Agreed, Rahsaan. And the maker? If they sell a pint to everyone who's curious and re-sell to the one in ten who like it, they'll make out well.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:48 am

Well, I love Vegemite, most mornings breakfast is Vegemite on toast with avocado. Not much of an ice cream person. So hmmm. Surely not Vegemite ice cream. But then again I really like wasabi ice cream, amd sweet and salt works, so I’ll keep an open mind and probably never meet it. Or might give it a try next time there is ice cream in the house, do a mix and taste.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Would it be fair to say that vegemite seems to be Australia's equivalent to the USA's peanut butter, in terms of infatuation and willingness to use it in all sorts of unlikely places?

-Pal
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 am

I think it's a much more "acquired taste" than peanut butter.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:06 am

Paul and Jeff, you are both right..

Yes “we love our Vegemite, we all adore our Vegemite, it puts a rose in every cheek” as an advertising jingle from the sixties went.

We do try it in weird and wonderful ways, often with tongue firmly in cheek and it is certainly an acquired taste. Sticky black stuff probably looks pretty weird for a start If you didn’t grow up with it.

And I wonder if people try it in larger quantity than desirable. It should not be slathered on, a smear is a good way to start and progressing to a teaspoon or two at most per slice of buttered toast, unlike PB which CAN be slathered thickly

One of my colleagues put Vegemite and avocado on a chicken schnitzel, his family were less than impressed. However v@a on toast is a winner, particularly if you enjoy a simple savoury breakfast.

I got roses in my cheeks and veggie on my toast.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:42 pm

I don't know if kids in Australia are brought up on vegemite these days the way my generation was.

I was born in the 50s and went to primary school in the 60s. Vegemite sandwiches were common for lunch, both at home and at school. When I was very young, my mother used to feed me vegemite broth, which was just a spoonful of vegemite melted into a bowl of hot water (and with bits of torn up white bread dropped into it, crouton-style). Every kid I knew was also fed this concoction when they were young. I suppose it was partly because nobody had a lot of ready cash where we lived, and it was simple and quick, and the advertising said it was very good for children.

It was a taste we acquired young.

I'm not sure if my four year old grandsons know what vegemite is.