Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Robin posted this on Facebook; well worth reading

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Robin posted this on Facebook; well worth reading

by Jenise » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:14 pm

http://www.monbiot.com/2017/12/13/we-ca ... like-this/

Very very well written. And a timely read for me, as I work on this big roast beef dinner for 80, with a budget of $6K, for Saturday night. At the very least I can say I'm sure glad I insisted on a protein-free salad course, and chose an asparagus vichysoisse over lobster bisque.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Robin posted this on Facebook; well worth reading

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:22 pm

I should have posted that here! I wondered if it might freak everybody out, though. :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:59 pm

All I can say is, it made me feel real good about my almost-vegetarian soup and salad lunch. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:48 pm

There are no easy answers, but the crucial change is a shift from an animal to a plant-based diet. All else being equal, stopping both meat production and the use of farmland to grow biofuels could provide enough calories for another 4 billion people

Well that would postpone the day when the Earth can't feed everyone, but it isn't a solution, it is a delay. Not having too many people is a solution, but it takes things like wars, famine, or willingness to utilize contraception to accomplish.

Having said that. I'm doing a small dinner next week, all of it vegetable based with the exception of a bit of anchovy, so doing my part....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Bill Spohn wrote: but it isn't a solution, it is a delay. Not having too many people is a solution..

Indeed it is. And there again, we've done our part.