Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dried truffles!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Dried truffles!

by Jenise » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Bought a jar of beautiful looking dried black truffle slices from Italy yesterday, just $16. Was imagining them in polenta to be precise. I'll let you know how good they are. They really only have to be passably good (compared to fresh) to thrill me--I do love the flavor of truffles and the real deal is just beyond my pain threshhold this year.

Anybody use them?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Dried truffles!

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 am

Never seen them. I'll be interested to hear about how they work out.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:03 pm

A lot of other mushrooms go through some sort of transformation when dried and rehydrated = intensifies and accents the umami thing. Not sure you'd want a truffle to change, but will be interested to hear what you say.

Only way to A/B is to rehydrate the dried shroom, take a slice and compare the taste to a slice of fresh.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Obviously I can't do that, and won't be going for an a/b thing anyway. More like, do a few slices add real truffle flavor to something such it would be worth spending $16 on a small jar on a routine basis--yes or no. We'll see. I have a pureed cauliflower/celery root soup on the hob right now, will add some to the pot when I take it off to cool down.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:07 am

I, also, will be interested in your comments. Dried mushrooms are indeed a very good thing, but taste and texture bear little relationship to the fresh and that is where my head struggles with how a dried truffle would feel and taste and smell. One of my favourite things when I get my annual freash black truffle is to surreptitiously open the container and take a good long sniff when no one is looking :oops: :oops: and then we eat them ..
Although of course, dried porcini have a wonderful intense aroma so....
If they are a good thing Amazon has 1 lb bags for $150. $9.38 per ounce.
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:29 am

If the dried ones don't do the job, can try Paris rooftop variety - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42465056
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins