Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Homemade Flour Tortillas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Homemade Flour Tortillas

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:54 pm

My husband would give up his right hand for homemade flour tortillas, Larry. How do you make them? I've never done it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: What's for dinner?

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:57 pm

Jenise wrote:My husband would give up his right hand for homemade flour tortillas, Larry. How do you make them? I've never done it.

It's simplicity itself.

FLOUR TORTILLAS

4 C flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbs shortening
1.5 C warm water, approx.

Combine dry ingredients.
Cut in shortening.
Add water a bit at a time, work mixture into a dough.
Knead dough until smooth, cover, set aside 10 min.
Form dough into egg-sized balls.
Roll each ball into thin circle (I use a French rolling pin).
Heat griddle or skillet on med-high heat.
Place each tortilla on griddle, cook for approx. 1 min. each side (time varies widely).
Tortillas should be lightly speckled (a few burned spots won't hurt anything).

I sometimes add a spoonful of wheat germ or bran to the flour for a little extra fiber. I personally use a round cast-iron griddle.

After a time or two, you'll get the hang of it. They're great, esp. with some honey and they help cut the heat of chile.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Jenise wrote:My husband would give up his right hand for homemade flour tortillas, Larry.

Wouldn't that chafe?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:15 am

Kinda like when my doctor told me to give up Cheetohs.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Jenise,

It would be worth the search to acquire a cast iron tortilla press that can be placed directly over a burner. A lot easier to knock out a dozen or two fresh tortillas. Especially once you get it seasoned.

First attempts at hand rolling a "round" tortilla can be pretty comical. A lot of traditional restaurants don't even use a rolling pin...but just pat them out by hand.

Here is a good one

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?p=434

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:06 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:Jenise,

It would be worth the search to acquire a cast iron tortilla press that can be placed directly over a burner. A lot easier to knock out a dozen or two fresh tortillas. Especially once you get it seasoned.

First attempts at hand rolling a "round" tortilla can be pretty comical. A lot of traditional restaurants don't even use a rolling pin...but just pat them out by hand.

Here is a good one

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?p=434

Richard

The one pictured costs about half that at any Mexican market (I bought one for $7 at a discount store), but it won't work anyway. Tortilla presses are for corn tortillas, not flour tortillas.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:05 pm

Tortilla presses are for corn tortillas, not flour tortillas.

Larry,

It works just as well for any type of non-leavened flatbread...including flour tortillas or...pita, for that matter. My Mom has used one since I was a kid (50+ years).

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:35 pm

Well, if it works, I guess it works.... :) I'm surprised your mother could get the flour tortillas thin enough.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:59 am

Thin flour tortillas? Well, thats kind of a regional preference.

When we lived in deep South Texas the flour tortillas were thicker and larger. Up here in Houston, they are much thinner( so thin, that you can almost see thru them)..though thats probably because of the tortilla making machines that are so prevalent in the area.

When I lived out in West Texas, the best tortillas were handmade, thicker but smaller in diameter.

Personally I like a thicker tortilla that maintains its elasticity and doesn't split when you roll it. Something we ran into further south and into some of the mexican border towns.

Richard

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:16 am

I've always believed the following, as quoted from Gourmet Sleuth:

Flour Tortillas

Flour tortilla are a simple mixture of flour, fat (lard or vegetable shortening), salt and water. Despite what you may have read, flour tortillas are NOT made with a tortilla press. The dough is too soft and sticky and will not flatten without the assistance of skilled hands or (for the rest of us) a rolling pin (palote).

The best (and traditional) rolling pin (palote) is made of wood and is 14" - 18" long and about 1" in diameter.

Flour tortillas are made with wheat flour and in order for the tortilla to maintain its flattened shape the dough must be rolled until the gluten strands break down. Without rolling the ball of dough would just snap back into its prior shape.

I thought the gluten would spring back, making it difficult to flatten the dough. Does your mother have a different recipe that works well with a tortilla press?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:12 pm

Actually, I have one of those presses, just haven't used it for anything. :)

Re thickness, I've seen them done both ways in Southern California. When El Torito decided to open it's experimental flagship Grill restaurant (it was terrific at first, very fresh and avant garde for Mexican food, but later went downhill when it turned into a chain and it became a rubber stamp copy of itself) they hired a little Mexican woman to handmake small diameter thicker flour tortillas in the lobby. A basket of four, warm off the grill, would arrive with your drinks along with a spicy compound butter and freshly made roast vegetable salsa. HEAVEN, those were.

Probably full of lard, too. Which do you use, Larry and Richard?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Jenise,

We've always used lard. And if it was available a touch of bacon grease. If not, then just lard.

Richard
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: Homemade Flour Tortillas

by ChefCarey » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:15 pm

Jenise wrote:My husband would give up his right hand for homemade flour tortillas, Larry. How do you make them? I've never done it.

I thought you had a copy of Chef on Fire? :D
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:56 pm

Does your mother have a different recipe that works well with a tortilla press?

I don't know Larry. Let me ask and I'll get back to you.

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:43 pm

I generally use shortening, but on occasion I've used lard. I didn't particularly like the lard version after it got cold (like the next day) and I wanted to eat a tortilla with honey, but that's just me.
no avatar
User

Trudy Schaefer

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Denver, Colorado

by Trudy Schaefer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:13 pm

I asked a new friend of mine who grew up in Mexico making fresh tortillas every day to come over and give me and another friend a flour tortilla-making lesson. The ones I find in the grocery store lacked the--for lack of a better word--toothsomeness (kind of chewy, very pliant, and very thin) that I was after having had handmade versions in local restaurants.

She was a great teacher. Part of her process was to use one of the cast iron tortilla presses, but hers was electric. So it partially cooked the tortilla as you pressed it, then we followed up with the quick cooking in a hot skillet.

I tried making them without the press, and just cannot get the texture and thinness I want. And I cannot find a press like hers to save me -- even with the large Latino population here in Denver.

I can find it in an aluminum version (http://www.tortillacocina.com/catalog_tortillapress.htm), but I'm after a cast iron, electric version. The brand name of hers was Tortilladora. If anyone stumbles across a source, I'd love to know. Otherwise, I'm going to settle for this aluminum version.

But definitely she used this press for the flour version--they're not just for corn tortillas. I think the heat is what kept the dough from sticking, plus hers was well-seasoned after 20+ years of use.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:08 pm

Here's a site that has electric flour tortilla presses: http://www.tortillacocina.com/catalog_tortillapress.htm

I'll take a look around Albuquerque and see if there are any here and if you want one, perhaps the shipping would be less.

Perhaps all along, we were talking about two different things. I have never seen a cast iron flour tortilla press, much less an electric one. I've seen only the run-of-the-mill corn tortilla presses in the 6-7 inch sizes.

BTW, don't anyone consider the plastic press. It looks incredibly sturdy, but mine broke before I could finish the very first tortilla. I exchanged it for a metal one.
no avatar
User

Trudy Schaefer

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Denver, Colorado

by Trudy Schaefer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:14 pm

Yes, Larry. That's the site I had found that had them as well, but a friend of mine ordered one from them, and they carry the aluminum version -- not the true cast iron type that I have my heart set on. So by all means yes! If you find one locally there in Albuquerque, I'd be delighted!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 pm

You need solid shortening of some sort (lard or bacon grease, for example) in this recipe. Butter's got too much moisture. Ghee might work, though. Vegetable oil has too low a melting point. Given that trans fats are a no-no these days, I'd opt for lard rather than Crisco or some other partially-hydrogenated vegetable fat. This isn't an item for those seeking to avoid saturated fats.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:28 am

Crisco has a no trans-fat shortening, which I used.

And, Trudy, no promises, but I'll look in a couple of Mexican markets.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:43 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I've always believed the following, as quoted from Gourmet Sleuth:

Flour Tortillas

Flour tortilla are a simple mixture of flour, fat (lard or vegetable shortening), salt and water. Despite what you may have read, flour tortillas are NOT made with a tortilla press. The dough is too soft and sticky and will not flatten without the assistance of skilled hands or (for the rest of us) a rolling pin (palote).

The best (and traditional) rolling pin (palote) is made of wood and is 14" - 18" long and about 1" in diameter.

Flour tortillas are made with wheat flour and in order for the tortilla to maintain its flattened shape the dough must be rolled until the gluten strands break down. Without rolling the ball of dough would just snap back into its prior shape.

I thought the gluten would spring back, making it difficult to flatten the dough. Does your mother have a different recipe that works well with a tortilla press?

Larry, I make them with a rolling pin very much like the one you mention, but it is just the rolling pin I use all the time. I've always called it an "Italian" rolling pin.

As a matter of personal preference I add a little baking powder to my flour tortillas (I like the flakiness). I've been making them for about 25 years and have tried all kinds of ways, including the press, and prefer rolling them.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:54 am

My French rolling pin is tapered. The traditional Mexican one is dowel-shaped. How is the Italian one shaped?
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:06 am

Larry Greenly wrote:My French rolling pin is tapered. The traditional Mexican one is dowel-shaped. How is the Italian one shaped?

Like a broomstick. I keep it handy in case I need to fly away quickly.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Crisco has a no trans-fat shortening, which I used.

Interesting. I wonder how they manage that? The partial hydrogenation process (which is what makes Crisco solid shortening instead of blended vegetable oil) is what causes trans fats to form. Maybe they filter them out afterwards or something.

-Paul W.
Next