Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Chapel Hill, NC

Re: Let's discuss trends that need to die

by Rahsaan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Timo Olavi wrote:Also, I can not agree that they are more sour or more extreme as of late, considering that artisanal Lambic beers have been around for at least two hundred years, and since sour beers routinely rely on the metabolites of micro-organisms (rather than the the malt bill or hops) for their character, lower acidity would more often than not just lead to bland results.

I don't know if sour beers are more sour as of late. But in the US, it was an almost-unheard of category a few years ago and it has very quickly spread to all the craft breweries. (Which these days is pretty widespread)

And when that happens, not everyone does a very good job of things!
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Sours have definitely become popular at craft breweries around here and probably qualify as the latest trend. They're still finding their footing around here and as Rahsaan said, some are much better than others. I think they're a harder sell than the IPAs, though. It will be interesting to see whether that trend is as enduring as the IPA trend or not.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Food served in large bowls so you need to use a knife at a steep angle. Only point I can see is so the wait staff don't have to take care bring it to you from the kitchen.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 am

Peter May wrote:Food served in large bowls so you need to use a knife at a steep angle. Only point I can see is so the wait staff don't have to take care bring it to you from the kitchen.

And what is also annoying you can’t rest your cutlery on the rim of your plates they fall in.!

I have also recently come across a trend o “bowls “ eg taco bowl, burger bowl and I cannot think what else. Just a ginormous and unnecessary IMHO deconstruction of a dish with the added irritation of the deep bowl yndrome you mention.
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Just as a data point on the beer thing out here, I was one of the more prominent craft breweries in our town with a friend last Saturday. There were 14 beers on the menu, and seven of them were IPAs. Maybe it's just because I'm not an IPA guy, but that seems ridiculous to me.

Agree completely on the "bowl" thing. That's just lazy.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
Previous