Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wealthy nincompoop Fox Newser wants to cheat servers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Wealthy nincompoop Fox Newser wants to cheat servers

by Jenise » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

From eater.com:

Fox Business host Stuart Varney believes that minimum wage hikes should perhaps result in customers tipping less at restaurants. Varney made this argument during a segment on his show, Varney & Co., Wednesday morning, notes Mediaite.

“If I walk into a restaurant and I know the waiter or waitress is making $15 an hour, way more than they used to make the previous year, I am going to say, ‘Wait a minute am I going to give you 20 percent, 15 percent or whatever?’” Varney said.

This is not the first time Varney has shared his thoughts on class issues in America. In 2011 he posited, “The image we have of poor people as starving and living in squalor really is not accurate. Many of them have things; what they lack is the richness of spirit.” Two years later, the broadcaster took issue with Pope Francis’s comments on income inequality.

Varney’s salary has not been made public, but he is under a “multi-year” contract with Fox Business. In 2013, TV Guide published a story showing how much money prominent cable news anchors can make. At the time, MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, Fox News’s Megyn Kelly, and CNN’s Chris Cuomo all reportedly earned between $2.5 million and $7 million annually.

Working 40 hours per week, an individual earning $15 per hour makes $28,800 a year.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Wealthy nincompoop Fox Newser wants to cheat servers

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Are you trying to get me banned, Jenise? 8)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Wealthy nincompoop Fox Newser wants to cheat servers

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm

I'd like to see restaurants pay a full wage to serving staff, and the convention to be that tips are not expected, but may be offered for exceptional service.

-Paul W.