Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Thomas Keller's next restaurant

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Thomas Keller's next restaurant

by Jenise » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm

From eater.com, some deets on the new Keller restaurant planned for the Hudson Yards development on Manhattan's east side that that resulted from rezoning.

Bicoastal chef Thomas Keller is in charge of much of the dining options at Hudson Yards, and besides that input, he’s also opening a restaurant of his own over on the fifth and sixth floors of The Shops. Tentatively called TAK Room, the 200-seater will be less pricey than his tasting menu flagships French Laundry and Per Se. Luxury, though, likely won’t be totally absent; the chef has said it will have some Mad Men-era touches, reflecting “a time when the fanciest food in America was called continental cuisine.”

It’s a big deal: Keller is one of the most influential fine dining chefs in the country, and this will be his first new restaurant in about a decade.

Love the "continental" reference--that's the food I grew up on, and I have a place forever in my heart for it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Thomas Keller's next restaurant

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjv6nmF7wdk
So urbane... the cuisine and the dance!
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 am

He should make Per Se run smoother first. So disappointing the last two years.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 am

Don't stop me if I've said this before, but Eater may not be the best source for accurate restaurant news. They opened a local branch here, and it was so bad that it shuttered in about a year. Combination of carelessness and the elevation of snide just didn't go over well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Don't stop me if I've said this before, but Eater may not be the best source for accurate restaurant news. They opened a local branch here, and it was so bad that it shuttered in about a year. Combination of carelessness and the elevation of snide just didn't go over well.

You've said it before. But what about this that I shared suggests inaccuracy?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Jenise wrote:You've said it before. But what about this that I shared suggests inaccuracy?

Nothing! :shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Okay, good. I get your angst, btw, but despite your local issues on a national basis in the style of a news magazine they publish some cool things most of us don't have any other outlet for.